1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bastardization of words

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Any noun with "-wise" tacked onto it, especially when there's a perfectly good adverb already, such as "offensively." Yet how many times do we hear "offensive-wise" from athletes, coaches and the occasional sportscaster?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I have never heard the word "offensive-wise."

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think we have a general consensus on that.

I'm worn out from hearing "beg the question" used wrong, since it's a precise term from logic and doesn't simply mean "suggests that I follow up by asking..."

Also, I know editors who have so hammered people about the difference between ironically and coincidentally that, even when something actually is ironic, they change it to coincidentally. Knee-jerk-ish, y'know?

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was with a bunch of friends, heading out to eat at a place that was already agreed upon. Another guy wants to go to a different restaurant. I said it has already been decided and if you want to change it, you better take it up with the guy who made the plans.
    He said, "Don't McCain on me."
    I wanted to Tyson him.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

awesome. As in "He did awesome."

I'll also vote for "on the season."

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Massive, starving.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Aggressiveness. It's aggression.

And random. Unless you're talking about blindly selecting a choice or other mathematical probabilities, nothing is random. Not a conversation, not seeing someone in a grocery store, nothing.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it's funny how random has become a put-down of sorts with kids.

Some kid will bring something up out of the blue and others will ridicule him for saying something so "random."

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Split infinitives bug the piss out of me, but no one else on my staff seems to care, so I throw up the white flag. Furthermore, on one major newspaper's blog an entry about split infinitives drew ire of readers along these lines:

Geez, newspaper people are so pretentious. You bring this up so your poor editors have something to do and feel important. Nobody cares. How about getting facts straight and making sure everyone's name is spelled right?

Well, all right.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ehh. I'd rather split an infinitive than misspell a name. I've known too many copy editors who can catch all the comma splices but don't spot the hed bust.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Comma splice > hed bust

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"Basically" is a great word to tip off a listener that a heavily biased statement is on the way and can be immediately discarded.

Draft saved Draft deleted