1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bastardization of words

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

What made me start the topic is seeing the phrase "light years" used to quantify how far behind a team/player is in several different locations. Light years measure distance, not time, and the misuse of the word bugs the hell out of me. "Unbelievable" is another one that just drives me up the wall because almost always, the scenario is believable.

What other consistent misuses of words make you cringe?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Literally.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

basically

I also hate "on the season" and "on the year" and even "on Saturday" but I veer toward threadjackery and shall stop.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You mean like, "He is literally on a high wire without a net," vis a vis Jerry Jones when referring to Pacman Jones?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I could care less.

No, really, too many people say that when what they mean is, "I couldn't care less."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Notoriety to mean fame rather than infamy.

7. I made that mistake in a story once and it was brought to me attention by a reader.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

"shocked the world/ surprised everyone"
    East Podunk beating West Podunk in table tennis was not shocking to the world...just the kids on the table tennis team and their parents.

over/more than is also a pet peeve. I won't shop at stores that use over in their ads when they mean more than.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"quantum leap". Refers to subatomic measurement, not vast improvement.

Also, I was taught early on that 'very' is a meaningless word, and I live by it.

10. Well, I always hate it when a coach throws out the phrase, 'One game at a time.' I want to say, no sh*t.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's more if a trite cliche than a bastardization, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted