1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball writers needed

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Covers.com Team, Nov 15, 2010.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To add on to this, the only place I've ever gotten a rejection letter from is state jobs, and it was a form letter that they clearly sent to everyone. Unless you got brought in or called for an interview, you shouldn't be expecting someone to tell you you didn't get job, regardless of what field you're looking for a job in.

2. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

I never heard of Sports Direct until recently but a former co-worker with multiple APSE awards and tons of enterprise and investigative clips in addition to pro beat experience is working for them under some type of contract. He recently told me he now has no interest in ever again working for a newspaper so it can't be all bad.

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Just to pile on, I was one of three finalists for a job a few years ago. After two in-person interviews and two different writing assignments, I never heard anything. In fact, one of my co-workers at the time came up to me in the office and said, "Sorry to hear you didn't get the job."

My response was, "Me too, especially since I hadn't heard yet." Turns out my co-worker had bumped into one of the other two finalists a few nights earlier. The guy was out celebrating his new job.

A few months later, the place called and asked if I was interested in a copy editor position, since, you know, the sports writing position didn't work out. I declined.

Draft saved Draft deleted