1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball tournament carnage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Guy calls me last week, and wants me to ref this YMCA basketball tournament this weekend.....$18 per game, only problem is for 1st/2nd grade boys, and 3rd/4th grade boys/girls.

How bad does a coach have to be get T'ed up in a 1st/2nd grade game? A couple of calls went the other teams way (wearing orange jerseys), and one of his kids tips a ball out of bounds, I call orange --coach flys off the bench, gets in my face and yells "Jesus Christ, is orange the only color you know?"---bang.

3rd/4th grade girls game--Both teams were getting physical---nothing dirty, but enough where you had to pay attention.....girl sets a screen one time, other girl doesn't see it.....smack......girl splits her lip......nothing major, but enough where you had to grab some paper towels for her lip........I actually go and get the paper towels, and while I was gone, apparently the parent of the girl goes and gets in the opposing coaches face.....

Oh, and in this other game, these two girls are going after a loose ball, go to the ground, and when they come up, they both start swinging.......should have tossed them both, but just gave double T.

I reffed 21 games in a span of two days this weekend........My feet/knees hurt like hell.
  2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Why are adults such asshats about their children?
  3. Chef

Chef Active Member

THAT is the million dollar question.
  4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Because they're bitter they didn't fulfill their own dreams.

Vicarious, etc.
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

At this young age, they really do not know how to act yet. They mellow as the kids get older. They mellow... a little.

One problem is that EVERY kid is now playing sports (i.e. soccer mostly or hoops). This is a problem in the fact that their parents probably never played anything because 20-25 years ago EVERYONE was not playing sports. If you were in the band when you were young, you really do not know the proper behavior when playing sports.

So many kids and parents will say "that ref cost us the game." My comeback is "OK, so what games this year did the ref win for you? If they are costing you games, they must be winning a few games for you as well."
  6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That might be the saddest (yet funniest) story I've heard in a while.
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As Jimmy Buffett once said, We Are The People They Warned Us About...

I have a friend who is a lovely woman, do anything for you boat load of common sense. She always scoffs at the "other" parents with blinders on and how they treat their kids. But she has them just as bad as anyone, and will admit it iccasionally. She'll talk how parents should spank their kids when they act unruly, but would never ever raise a finger to her own child. Her daughter is having a tonsilectomy on Tuesday and you'd think its a bone barrow transplant.
    It's not these parents that are the problem it's "other" parents.
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

I once ejected nine people from a 9-10 year old girls softball game I was umpiring.

Yes, nine. I was about 17 at the time -- two of them waited for me in the parking lot.

One was a grandfather who actually came out of the stands and right up to home plate.
Draft saved Draft deleted