1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball stats/scoring questions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Clever username, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Based on a lifetime of playing video games, I'm sure the steal goes to the player who comes up with the ball. At least, that's how my games always did it. I got pretty good at one game tipping inbounds passes away and my computer teammates would come up with the ball and get the credit for the steals.

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

If Joe Bob blocks a shot and I come down with the ball, then I get the rebound.

If I knock the ball away from you and Joe Bob grabs the ball, I get the steal. It's not necessarily the person who corrals it, but the person causing the turnover.

3. Central-KY-Kid

http://www.ncaa.org/library/statistical/basketball_stats_manual/2007/2007_basketball_stats_manual.pdf

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I don't think this is correct. I believe a blocked shot = a shot attempt AND a rebound.

If the player who blocked the shot grabs the ball, it is a block and a rebound. If he swats it to a teammate, it's a block for him and a rebound for the teammate. If he swats it into the upper deck, it's a block and offensive team rebound. If he causes a jump ball with a block, it's a block and rebound for the team with the arrow.

Here's my question:

If you have a lane violation on the team shooting a free throw, does it count as a FT attempt? I haven't been counting it as an attempt.

5. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

there is no credited FT attempt.

6. trounced

trounced Active Member

Not every turnover is a steal but in this instance it is a steal, and it's credited to the player that knocked the ball away, not the player who secures the ball.

Yes, an airball is a shot. If it goes out of bounds it's a defensive team rebound.

7. Central-KY-Kid

If I read the NCAA manual correct, it would be a dead-ball rebound, not team rebound. Same as if someone took a shot right before the shotclock went off and the ball didn't hit the rim. Dead-ball rebound, not team rebound.

When team averages are released, team rebounds are included, but dead-ball rebounds are not. Thus it is important to make the distinction if the team had any affect on the rebound. If a airball goes out of bounds, the team did not.

Dead-ball rebounds aren't only for free throws, although that's where they're most commonly used.

8. Central-KY-Kid

MC Sports Guy,

From the NCAA guide (page 24):

A.R. 6. Adams is shooting a free throw on a one-shot foul. Allen commits a lane violation and Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in.

RULING: Charge Allen with a turnover. Do not charge Adams with a FTA.

9. I just read the link to the 2007 stats manual posted earlier in this thread. I'm wrong about blocked shots not leading to rebounds. I am correct, however, about not having to be the one to corral a loose ball to be credited with a steal. If I knock the ball to my teammate, I get the steal.

10. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Right, that's what I said. Was this supposed to be directed at me?

11. Central-KY-Kid

I didn't see the turnover part the first I posted. My humble apologies.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Someone said earlier that every missed shot has to have a rebound, but what if the missed shot is at the buzzer?

Draft saved Draft deleted