1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball stats/scoring questions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Clever username, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'm sure this has been done before, but basketball season just started up here and I have stat/scoring questions that I never think to look up. Anyway, my biggest questions are about rebounds and steals.

Say Player A takes a shot and misses and the ball hits Player B's hands and then off Player C's and then Player D's, maybe squirts away and ends up in the hands of Player E, who takes obvious and firm possession of it. Does Player E get credit for the rebound?

And the same thing with steals. Say Player A knocks a pass away and Player A's teammate takes control of it. Does the teammate get credit for the steal? I would imagine the teammate, but that doesn't seem fair to Player A.

Offensive fouls are turnovers, correct?

And what if a player takes a shot, misses and the ball goes out of bounds? Is that a turnover but also count as a team rebound for the opposing team?

I think there's more but that will do for now. Forgive my ignorance.

2. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

o-fouls are turnovers. I think whoever is first to control the ball on a missed shot is credited with the rebound, but I could be wrong.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'm assuming you mean he takes a shot, hits rim and then the ball goes out of bounds.
    That would be a shot attempt, no turnover and a team rebound for the other team.

Every shot has to have a rebound.

If the player airballed it and it went out of bounds, that would be a turnover and no shot attempt, I believe.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What about airballs from the baseline that go completely over the hoop and have no backboard to bounce off? Although it's probably a universal airball rule.

5. it's not a turnover

it is a team rebound

remember, every missed shot has to have a rebound

at the end of the game, the total number of rebounds must equal the total number of missed shots

a missed free throw when the shooter gets another is a dead-ball rebound that does not count in a team's game-ending total

team rebounds do count

if Team A has possession and the ball-handler is tied up and there's a jump ball and Team B wins possession, that's a turnover. if Team A gets the ball back, no scoring

if there's a missed shot and players from both teams have a hand on the ball or a ball goes out of bounds and the refs don't know who touched it last and there's a jump ball, whoever wins gets a rebound

6. You guys are forgetting blocked shots. Rebounds plus blocked shots equal total field goal misses.

A couple things I have always done with rebounds...If Player A jumps from an inbounds position, grabs the ball with one hand and throws it off an opponent so the ball goes out of bounds, giving Player A's team possession, Player A gets credit for a rebound.
    If Player B gets the ball with one hand and slaps or otherwise redirects it to a teammate, Player B gets the rebound. He/she showed enough control of the ball even though he/she did not come down with it. I guess this also goes for the first instance.

In a similar vein, if defensive Player C knocks it the ball away from an offensive player and it goes to another player, then Player C gets credit for the steal. Player C may not have been knocking it to that player on purpose, but the new player didn't do anything but go after a loose ball. if you're going to give a steal, give it to Player C.

And, yes, an airball is either a turnover or a pass, depending on which team gets the ball.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Airball = not a shot ?

I gotta dust off the stat manual.

8. I have no factual basis for this, but I can't believe an airball doesn't count as a shot. I'm going to need to see a quote to support that.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Interesting question because, if I'm not mistaken, a player can catch his own airball and it not be whistled as a turnover/travel if the officials say "it was a legitimate shot attempt."

10. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

an airball is definitely a shot, the same way it would be if it did nothing but hit backboard.

the steal question is a good one, though. Is it the player that knocks it loose or the player that corrals it?

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Would it be neither, and just simply a turnover for the team that lost possession? Not every turnover is a steal.

12. huh? a blocked shot is a missed shot. whoever controls the ball gets a rebound

wrong again. an airball is a missed shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted