1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball stat styles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dargan, Jul 12, 2007.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

How many of you all use ppg, rpg, apg, spg for points per game, rebounds per game, assists per game, steals per game, etc.?

Do you spell out each on first mention, or assume the reader knows what each means? Or do you spell out each on first mention, then just say points/rebounds/assists/steals the rest of the way? Or maybe just use the one world the whole time?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think you spell it out on every reference. There shouldn't be too many stats in a single story anyhow.

"Johnny Jumpshot leads the league with 23 points and 12 rebounds a game."

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Only use those abbreviations in charts and/or statistical agate.

Never in a story.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What about "Adjusted ERA+?"

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Alright, I appreciate the help. Thanks.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We use rpg, apg, ppg in stories all the time.

I prefer spelled out first references, but I don't have a problem with it particularly, especially for capsule type preview work or whatever or, for example, a story on a bunch of recruits.

Jones (13.2 ppg, 9.4 apg) lead the team ...

And yes, as with many things, my thinking on this has loosened up a bit over the years.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Yeah, I've seen it both ways. I know we've used the abbreviations in the examples (preview boxes, recruit stories) that SF_Express details.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't have a huge problem with it in this context.

Also, I don't have a problem with ERA and RBI on first reference either.

Curiously, it is style at our paper to abbreviate "touchdown" to TD on second reference. If you don't do it, the desk will do it for you.

9. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

i don't really have a preference, but i believe my paper goes spelled out first reference, then abbreviated afterward. i don't do it much, but our college reporter does. it comes in very handy for all of the game preview capsules, conference previews and tournament advances — stuff like that.

agreed that there's no need for too many stats in one story, but if the one story is a capsule breakdown of all the teams in the conference before the conference tourney, then you might want to add in lots of ppgs and rpgs.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't mind using abbreviations in capsules and agate. That's one thing. But I think it looks awkward in the middle of an actual story.

"Duncan averaged 28 ppg and 12 rpg in the playoffs."

Doesn't look right to me.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Agreed.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I don't particularly care for it in that context, either.

"Duncan averaged 28 points and 12 rebounds in the playoffs."

Per game is understood.

Draft saved Draft deleted