1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball stat question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fourth and 8, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

Do turnovers include:

change of possession by foul?

change of possession whereby a defender grabs the ball, dribbles once in place or gets the ball batted out of his hands at the point of his steal, then loses it back to the opponent?

2. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

yes, turnovers are any possession that does not end in a shot being taken or a trip to the line.

3. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

The shortest thread ever. I'm calling it now

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I don't count it if a player grabs the ball from the opposition but gives it back before he has control of the ball. That's just a loose ball.

Once control is maintained, then it becomes a turnover.

Definitely on the first scenario.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

In college, I used to help keep stats for the SID sometimes. That's pretty much what we did.

Most of the times, we said the person stealing the ball had to cross the halfcourt line to maintain possession. There are exceptions of course, but that's a good rule to follow.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

If the shot clock resets, possession has been determined without the use of the midcourt rule, no?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What about a blocked shot? I always count it as a block, no shot taken, but no turnover either. Is that wrong?

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Correct, in that it's no turnover. But it is a shot taken.

Look at it this way, if it hadn't been blocked, it would either have gone in the basket or missed. And since it's a shot, there would also have to be a rebound to balance out the boxscore.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And if the defender forces a jump ball with a block, and the defense has the possession arrow, it becomes a blocked shot, shot attempt, and defensive rebound.

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

How could a blocked SHOT not be a shot? It is by definition.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's an easy one.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Because it didn't hit the rim. Same as an airball.

Draft saved Draft deleted