1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball recruiting, Mercedes and desperation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Josh Selby, a highly-touted guard from Baltimore, drives a Mercedes. His AAU coach lends it to him. Ridiculous.

Jim Calhoun also comes off as a douche for showing up at Selby's handler's door just after midnight on the first day home visits are allowed.

I love these stories because it shows how far out of whack college recruiting is.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Since the NCAA claims that athletes pick schools, not coaches, I've often thought that they should only allow one visit to a recruit's home by the head coach, and perhaps one or two by assistants. They should also limit the amount of times a coach can attend a recruit's games.

Treat them like any other student. The music major doesn't have the conductor texting them every day.
  3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I was more interested in the stories linked, the ones about William Wesley.

Every small-time hanger-on wants to achieve this type of Zelig-like existence.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Great reporting on the Selby story. I must now wonder if the Times or the Sun or now the KC Star will follow up on this and figure out if there's anything compromising this guy's amateur status.
  5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's OK when Mom and Dad get Skipper or Muffie a Mercedes, but Josh Selby drives one part-time and it's a capital crime?
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Capital crime? Exaggerating a bit, aren't we?
    I never said any violation had occurred. I just wondered if the player's amateur status had been compromised in the eyes of the NCAA. If the provider of the car has had a previous relationship with any of the schools recruiting Selby, he might fall under the "representative of the institution's athletics interest" clause. And that would be a problem. Sounds like something worth investigating for any outlet that has time and resources. The problem is that very few outlets care to devote time and resources to anything.
  7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Was referring to Stitch's declaration that it was "ridiculous."
Draft saved Draft deleted