1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball Hall of Fame Finalists for 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

When Jordan was playing baseball and Richmond was a second-team all-nba selection both years, John Stockton was a first-team guard both times. One year it was Latrell Sprewell. The other it was Anfernee Hardway.

The three years Jordan was back, the all-NBA guards were in order from first team to third team

Jordan 3 times
    Payton, Anfernee Hardway, Tim Hardaway

Payton 2
    Stockton, Richmond, Tim Hardaway, Strickland

Miller 2, Richmond 2 (the same years)
    Stockton, Anfernee Hardaway.

2. Della9250

The NFL and MLB aren't even close to putting in too many folks. Baseball doesn't even average one player per year.

3. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

What is your opinion of World B. Free's body of work? Hall of Fame worthy?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

World was indirectly traded for Barkley.

October 12, 1978: Traded by the Philadelphia 76ers to the San Diego Clippers for a 1984 1st round draft pick (Charles Barkley).

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's tough for me to say, because I'm only 29 and never saw him play live, and I've only read about him after the fact. Looking at his stat line, he strikes me as being a Monta Ellis of his time - Gaudy PPG for a couple years, but he was also Top 10 in the NBA in shooting attempts for most of those years as well. He also only made one All-Star team, and while that isn't the end-all be-all of these things, it suggests to me that as the time he was playing he wasn't seen as an elite player either.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

MLB has enshrined more than 200 former players since 1936, the inaugural class. An average of almost three players per year.

7. Della9250

I was referring to the writers, who have put in 112 players in 77 elections.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

One of the good guys in the NBA. Currently works for the Sixers and does a lot of community work. As a player, he was a thriller. When he was part of the Bomb Squad that included Darryl Dawkins, Steve Mix and Joe Bryant, he was instant offense. Put up some great numbers with the Cavs and Clippers. Borderline Hall of Famer but definitely in the Hall of very good NBA players. I think he was maybe three years shy of being talked seriously about the Hall.

9. 93Devil

He was a gunner who never played on a decent team. A ball hog.

That's the way I remember him.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

He was a gunner because he didn't have anyone else on his team who could score.

11. 93Devil

If he was so great he would not have been traded so much in his prime.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wouldn't say Free was great. He was very good. Moses Malone is a Hall of Famer and look how many times he was traded. It happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted