1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball Hall of Fame Class 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 2, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

What a country!

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Woj’s tweets read like official press releases, packed with corporate sponsor ids.

If I’m a basketball beat writer, I’d be pissed at the Hall for so blatantly playing favorites to ESPN.

Oh, and Chris Webber is a HoFer. Some folks are grinding axes.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I see Eddie Sutton did not make it.

My question is this about college basketball coaches like Sutton and Bob Huggins. They are coaches who have had a lot of success and each made two Final Fours. But if you let them in do you let Lon Kruger in because he went to two Final Fours? John Boehlin? Rick Barnes? Gene Keady? Where does one draw the line between a great coach and a very good journeyman? I think that to make the Hall of Fame you should run a program that is a national powerhouse, top ten school for a sustained period of time. I don't think Sutton or Huggins have done that.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Webber’s famous. And was famous as a college player. As a pro he was good to very good. Played 15 years as a pro and played more than 70 games 6 times. Never more than 2 seasons in a row. He played 10 seasons of games spread out over 15 seasons.
    If he is a HOFer he stands for the proposition that if you play for a decently long time and still average 20 ppg you are a HOF.

He’s a Hall of Famer. Is he in the Hall of Greatness?

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

None of them should get in before Jud Heathcote, who won a national title and built a foundation Tom Izzo improved upon

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The full class:

Al Attles
    Carl Braun
    Chuck Cooper
    Vlade Divac
    Bill Fitch
    Bobby Jones
    Sidney Moncrief
    Jack Sikma
    Teresa Weatherspoon
    Paul Westphal
    Wayland Baptist Flying Queens
    Tennessee A&I (1957-59)

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Bobby Jones? Come on...

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The Secretary of Defence!

9. Della9250

Sutton made 3 final fours. I believe when he retired he was 13th all time in wins, regardless of division, (he’s 25th now) and I think there is some merit to being the first coach to take four different schools to the tournament

10. LanceyHoward

My bad. He did go to three. I have to be careful to scroll all the way down on Wikipedia.

If we are going to give points for taking four schools to the tournament should we deduct points for the manner in which he left Kentucky?

11. Della9250

5-time all-star
    Sixth Man of the Year Award
    Made an All-ABA second team

But here is the most important bulletpoint:
    Made 10 straight first team all-defensive teams and then was 2nd team all-defense in his final year

He was also a second-team All-American -- that does matter some.

12. LanceyHoward

Jones is the consummate complementary player. The best defensive forward of his generation. And an extremely efficient offensive player. He moved exceedingly well without the ball and shot 56% from the floor so he was exceedingly efficient for his era offensively. And Jones in twelve years never played on a team that won less than 48 games. Dr. J or David Thompson would be the guy who the offense ran through on the teams he palyed for but but Jones was an awesome sidekick.

Draft saved Draft deleted