1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball Hall of Fame Class 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Sikma has to be over Bobby Jones.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Eddie Sutton should already be in.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think the committee, which we know nothing about, will lean toward Jones because of his defensive rep, his ring, and he was second-team all-american (college stuff counts in this hall). But after Webber and Moncrief, there is no blueprint for where they go next.

4. Della9250

He absolutely should have. He's another one if he doesn't somehow get in that you wonder who doesn't like him in the room.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm being naive here - but does the hall "penalize" someone for leading a dirty program or being found to have been paid under the table to play at college?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It'd be a hell of a lot smaller building if they did.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's a fucking crime.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think off the court stuff is definitely held against him and Huggins.

9. Della9250

It probably is, but when you look at who they put in its kind of a sham, whether in hindsight or not

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This Hall is so different that baseball and football. Did anyone ever think Ben Wallace was a HOFer? He was DeAndre Jordan, who was just a contract throw in and almost released. The only one of those who would make one of the other halls is Webber.

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Marques Johnson was a really, really great player. POY at UCLA, NCAA champ, 1 time First team All NBA, 2 time Second Team All NBA, career 20/7/4 (off memory, could be wrong). Had an issue with coke in Milwaukee and that hurt his career. He is back with Bucks now doing color on most TV games. He is a very good color man, great old school stories with a new day analytic approach that can be understood by most. Plus when he was a young Buck he lived next to my great aunt. She lived in a very upscale neighborhood and one day she told us that "our neighbor, a very nice young colored boy (she was in her 80's at the time) shovels our snow for us". She went on to tell me that he was very tall and his name was Marques. I just about shat myself. She always talked about what a nice young man he was.

12. Della9250

Woj leaking the process this evening:

Draft saved Draft deleted