1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball Game Preview Ideas...

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by HHDougB, Oct 22, 2009.

1. HHDougB

HHDougB New Member

I write for a Virginia Tech website, HokieHaven.com (part of Rivals.com). I put out a basketball game preview before each game and was looking to change it up. I'll be running about 4-5 articles a week, with two being quite laborious pieces, so I'm definitely looking to decrease the writing time without hurting the content.

In past years, I have done it based along this basic template.

Basketball Game Preview: Virginia Tech vs. (Insert School)

Introduction with lead to "read on for subscriber content"

The Starting Five

Virginia Tech:

(Insert School):

The Bench Players

Virginia Tech:

(Insert School)

Key Stats

FG %

3 pt %

FT %

Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks!

2. HHDougB

HHDougB New Member

Anyone?

Just looking for a fresh idea to to basketball game previews...

Thanks!

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

You could include results from the last five games for each school or a list of "Quality" wins (2-4 of their best victories)...quotes from the coach or players would be nice at least for the bigger matchups or league preview type thing.

4. Greg Pickel

Greg Pickel Member

Quotes are always nice, in my opinion. I would also try and add more on the opposing team. Chances are your readers know plenty about Va. Tech, but maybe not as much about the opponent. Maybe pick a player or two you could think could make a solid impact, and write a few lines about them.

5. kuballer2369

kuballer2369 New Member

Maybe if you have contact with the Va Tech coach you could get a game preview from his perspective

Draft saved Draft deleted