1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball feature

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by mustangj17, May 21, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just read this on the last thread : The moment you stop trying to get better, you're getting worse.

So I guess this is my attempt to get better. Anyway, space for this article was limited so, it didn't get to be as long as I had hoped. This ended up actually working out pretty well since the team I was covering (for the first time) was out in Texas on a two-game road trip and every time I got patched through from the sports info guy the phone went out or something else. Either way I wasn't really happy with the way it turned out, so any input on how it could be better would be appreciated.
    (oh yeah and the headlines weren't my work)

Bumfucks have new No. 1 option

Senior guard Some Fucker steps up to leadership

Some Fucker isn't used to being the go-to guy.

His new role as the Metro Bumfucks' No. 1 option, however, is one the senior guard has gladly accepted.
    "Obviously when Douchebag McGee left, the team had to find someone to assume that leadership position," Bumfucks coach Coachy McCoacherson said.
    McGee was suspended on Nov. 1 by coach McCoacherson for conduct detrimental to the team. He was reinstated a week later, but did not appear in the any of the Bumfucks' games before quitting the team.
    The team needs Some Fucker "to be our leader, our defender, all the things that McGee was," McCoacherson said. "We need him to create opportunities."
    As a sophomore and junior, Fucker was the Titans' second and sometimes third option, averaging 10.9 and 9.2 points per game, respectively.
    This season, Fucker is averaging 17 points per game -- fifth best in the Horizon league.
    "I like the new role; it's perfect," Fucker said. "I like leading and keeping the younger players together, but you have to give credit to my teammates -- they look for me a lot."
    Coacherson said Fucker's speed and quick decision-making have helped the team improve this season.
    Fucker agreed.
    "I think I have a good basketball IQ," Fucker said. "I understand the game, help my teammates run the floor, and control the tempo with a lot of intensity and emotion."
    McCoacherson added that Fucker's cleverness causes troubles on both offense and defense for other teams, even when he doesn't even have the ball.
    There's something else about Fucker that perplexes coaches and players alike.
    Even at 5-feet-10 inches and 150 pounds, Fucker is hard to miss on the court because of his unusual hairstyle.
    When asked about Fucker's hair, Coacherson said: "I'm not a fan of it, but when it comes to young people and their hair, just leave me out of it."
    Fucker said he likes his Mohawk because it is a different look.
    "It started getting long and when I needed to cut it I was in a jam and didn't have time," Fucker said.
    "So I just decided to keep it."
    What Fucker could do without is the start the Bumfucks have gotten off to this season.
    Despite receiving high praise from the coaching staff for his breakout season, Fucker said he is still disappointed with the way the Bumfucks have played.
    "Our goal is to win a conference championship and we can't do that by losing three straight games at home, and starting out 0-2 in the conference," Fucker said.
    "I just want to win more ball games, the conference and the conference tournament."

###

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

In my opinion "Go-to" guy is one of those terms that has several meanings. It could mean scoring in the clutch. A leader in the locker room. A spokesperson for the team. All of those things. None of those things. Ask the coach and the player what it specifically means to them.

Ask his teammates what they think of their new go-to guy. What makes him capable of handling it? ... Also ask him about go-to guy's hair. That could've added some humor to the story. The coach's reaction to it was predictable.

The coach mentioned the player's "cleverness." Get specific examples of what he means by this.

This story is about a change in mindset. There are a lot of great scorers at all levels of basketball, but being the go-to guy comes with a certain amount of responsibility and pressure. Why does this guy think he can handle it? What has he done to deserve this title? He's supposed to be a leader, yet he has a Mohawk. You dont see many leaders wearing a Mohawk. Find out what makes him so special.

3. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

This is just nit-picking, and I'n guilty of not doing the same, but I think talking to a teammate would add a lot...how has Fucker been in place of McGee; how has he handled more responsibility; what traits had he previously showed that might have indicated he'd be capable of stepping up, etc.

Like I said, though, nit-picking.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thanks for the input guys. I agree with both of you. I was disappointed to not get a third source, or even more information. But there were a bunch of problems with getting the interviews because of flight cancellations, etc. so the interview ended up being right before a game and over the phone with shaky reception. It sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted