1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball Coaches (vindictive) Gone Wild Again...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 19, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One person recused himself because of some kind of connection to the case, and the NCAA didn't replace that person despite pleas from O'Brien's lawyer to do so.

The whole thing just stinks to high heaven.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To answer your question, though, if Martelli and St. Joe's dropped their objection today, O'Brien could suit up tonight. The NCAA upheld St. Joe's right to object, but it's still on the Hawks to do the right thing and drop the objection.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, Tubby Smith tried to block Marvin Stone from transferring from Kentucky to Louisville in 2001. Stone hired an attorney, and Kentucky backed down, knowing they sure as hell wouldn't have wanted the rule played out in court:

http://louisvillecardinalnest.weebly.com/marvin-stone-story.html

And I'm sure there have been plenty of other cases, especially if a kid wants to transfer to another program in the conference.

4. LongTimeListener

This new interpretation of the grad student rule is a lot more recent than the Marvin Stone case, though.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's a bit different, because Stone wasn't a grad student, but the effect is basically the same. A regular transfer sits out one year as long as the school signs the transfer. If they don't, the kid sits out two years.

Essentially, the school has power that they shouldn't have. And it shouldn't matter what the kid did, if anything. Kid should be free to go to any school he wants, and participate in any extracurricular activity at that school if he desires.

6. LongTimeListener

That's the extreme view of it, Baron. This case is limited to the grad student exception. If we open it up to the entire idea of transfers, we would find hundreds of waiver denials.

7. JackS

JackS Member

Always good to see the back of my head (at the 0:23 mark in the front row) live on in eternity.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's what she said. :D

9. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

I am no expert and am only asking this for better understanding, not as an argument in favor of either player. Does the fact that TOB transferred to St. Joe's have any bearing on the waiver rule?

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

And if that could be proven conclusively, the lawsuit would have been filed weeks - - if not months - - ago.

11. LongTimeListener

Oh, I don't know about that. First off, he said it but there's no indication he did it, so I don't know what damages there would be. Also, filing a lawsuit would remove any chance of the school cooperating to let him play this season, and with time of the essence I don't think punishing Martelli was as high on his priority list as getting clearance to play.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It would be hard to come down against Todd O'Brien on this issue.

And yet, I wish this battle was being fought by someone who was not working on the third college of his career and who had not walked away from a school that is pretty much beyond reproach in Bucknell.

And I know as well as anyone that it doesn't mean a damn thing in this setting, but this kid is a very marginal athlete who has value only inasmuch as he is a 7-footer with good wingspan. His basketball skills are minimal. Just for background's sake. I dunno, I suppose that makes Martelli an even bigger asshole, because I can't see him really needing this kid's talents.

Draft saved Draft deleted