1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball Coaches (vindictive) Gone Wild Again...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

From the way he wrote it, it sounds as if O'Brien believed, after speaking to the athletic director (who O'Brien says wished him well), that he would be granted the waiver. It wasn't until after he transferred and received the paperwork from St. Joe's that he saw DiJulia didn't sign off on the waiver.

My guess is that he figured Martelli would eventually cool down and act like an adult or, at the very least, DiJulia would just sign off on it regardless of Martelli's objection. Of course, having spent some time around Martelli, the kid probably should known what a prick he is and not taken that for granted.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rhody -- never in the history of this transfer rule has it been denied. There was one kid from Northern Illinois I think whose school hemmed and hawed, but they eventually gave him the transfer.

Save it with the life lesson bullshit. The NCAA has no morality, and the only life lesson they teach is "we'll chew you up and spit you out as we damn well please." Martelli wasn't going to play O'Brien either, he made that clear last season.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's the "choice" that is up for debate. Why should St. Joe's (or any school) have that power? Because that's what the NCAA regs say? Its the hypocrisy that's being brought to the spotlight. Coaches get to leave anytime they want, students are on one year renewals but do not get the quid pro quo of one year outs. Especially ridiculous when the guy has graduated.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The college backetball twitterverse is on fire over this.

http://deadspin.com/5869649/right-now-the-college-basketball-world-hates-phil-martelli

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

LTL, we all know the NCAA is screwed up and this kid should be granted his release, but him trying to make a high and mighty stand about not being able to play makes this look bad.
    In my heart of hearts I want to believe that this kid is 100 percent honest and his No. 1 priority is his studies and he just wants to play hoops, but we all know how college hoops goes; isn't it entirely possible this kid hated Martelli, wanted out, and found the necessary loophole? I mean, if it was his No. 1 priority to focus on grad school, wouldn't he have graduated on time?

6. LongTimeListener

From Andy Katz's story on ESPN.com:

Saint Joseph's coach Phil Martelli wouldn't respond to numerous attempts to contact him by ESPN.com and Saint Joseph's athletic director Don Dijulia declined comment.

I'm sure Martelli will respond to ESPN's attempts to pay him for his services as the wise-cracking wiseguy during the NCAA tournament.

7. LongTimeListener

Who gives a flying fuck about a single thing you're saying. I don't know what "graduated on time" means, but he did graduate on time for the eligibility rules. I'm sure he did hate Martelli and it looks like there is damn good reason for him to do so.

Rules are rules, as someone on here once said. And the kid followed the rules.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Gotta love this quote from the lying O'Brien.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Except for not stealing. We should ask ourselves "What would Doug Gottlieb do?"

10. LongTimeListener

There is nothing in the record about his stealing. The stories at the time said he was "peripherally involved," but obviously it wasn't something that bothered St. Joe's then.

This is the college version of the Red Sox trashing Francona on his way out of town.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wait why are you holding on to the "possibilities" when the facts as stated show that Martelli is a vindictive a**? Yes its possible that O'Brien is lying but there's no evidence of that here. He's said he's doing this for education and we should respect that until shown otherwise. Whereas St. Joe's still has not come out with a good reason for denying him his transfer.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I would love to think public outcry and pressure would force Martelli to change his mind. Unfortunately, my gut says it will only make him dig in his heels further and it will take a decision above his pay grade to change the outcome of this story.

Draft saved Draft deleted