1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball Coaches (vindictive) Gone Wild Again...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 19, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No, his penalty would be to not let him play anywhere else.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is still unacceptable. You get suspended. Fine. You serve your suspension. (This is unconfirmed as well). That's the definition of punishment, right? Except that's not how Martelli/St. Joe's is playing it, instead they say we get to suspend you and prevent you from playing anywhere else; we own your career, even though O'Brien has graduated and is seeking a graduate degree which St. Joe's does not offer.

You're good with that?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put too much stock in the unique educational opportunity he was seeking. I'm sure Jeremiah Masoli would say he enrolled at Ole Miss because he had always dreamed of a career in the leisure and recreational arts.

Whatever the background was, though, Martelli is again proving that when the reason for doing something is "because I can," it's usually a bad move.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not at all. I am not good with any 'punishment' for a player leaving. Its asinine. I am just telling you what I think Martelli is doing.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wasn't Masoli kicked out of Oregon because he got in trouble and couldn't stay our of it? These situations aren't exactly comparable ...

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wasn't trying to compare them other than to note that the academic reason offered is thin and not really the reason Masoli ended up at Ole Miss or O'Brien at UAB.

What they really need to do is eliminate the waiver requirement, because plenty of coaches will do the same thing if it suits their purposes. NC State could have done it to Russell Wilson and left him rotting at the end of their bench or out of football entirely.

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

His not playing is hurting the Blazahs pretty badly, too, apparently. He gets to practice, but can't play. And it shows when UAB takes the floor. They really need a compliment to Soko and Swing.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Who the hell are the "Blazahs?"

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We might not have the whole story, but we don't need it to know Martelli is a doucherocket.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They need to get rid of the waiver rule, totally. Until they just changed the scholarship rules, players were only given them for one year. If a kid wants to go to a different school, and participate in an extracurricular activity at that school (which is what the NCAA always pretends their sports are), he should be allowed to do so. The school should have zero say in whether a kid can transfer and play at another school, or not.

I did find the kid's account of Martelli threatening to sue him to be totally laughable. Martelli's bosses should have tied him down and put a gag in his mouth if he actually threatened to sue. That's all the school and the NCAA needs, a legal challenge to their one-way rules.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I would agree, Baron, if the NCAA rule went both ways. Scholarships for one year only, no guarantee of renewal, no recourse if not renewed. Then a kid could transfer wherever he/she wanted every year.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

While I agree Martelli should just let the kid play, let's not make it seem like this is the end of the kid's life. Once they told him he wasn't getting the waiver, he was given a choice - he could study another subject and play hoops at St. Joe's, or study what he wanted and not play ball at UAB.
    He chose to pursue his academics - the right decision - then complain about how he can't play ball.
    How is this not a life lesson for the young man? Sometimes you make sacrifices for your greater good. He apparently has no interest in that.

Draft saved Draft deleted