1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball Coaches (vindictive) Gone Wild Again...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 19, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am confused about one thing -- so all the other kids who have graduated have transferred with the school's blessing? Or is there something particular to this case (maybe that the guy had walked in graduation but hadn't officially graduated as of last spring) that makes the previous school's approval necessary?

If this is a rule that all the other asshole coaches have been able to heed voluntarily and Phil Martelli alone has seen fit to play out this vindictiveness, that makes him look even worse.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

thank you

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Has any outlet in Philly done anything on this? It seems rather petty indeed, excessively so. I wonder if there's more to it?

4. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

One thing I will point out is O'Brien was suspended for "failure comply with the university's community standards," something he fails to mention in his first-person account.

5. This story only confirms the impression I've had for a long time that Martelli is a Class A prick.

6. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Just talked to a friend of mine who is still closely tied to the university who said that O'Brien and Pat Swilling, Jr were involved in stealing laptops. Swilling was removed from school and O'Brien was allowed to stay.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So to penalize the guy you MAKE HIM STAY? I have little doubt that everything is a pretext to screw him over. You should be kicking him out, not keeping him.

8. Moderator1

Seriously? You have any proof of this other than your friend's word? Charges filed? Media reports? This is turning into one hell of a story

9. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

He went through the school's judicial process, which I believe is confidential. Found this.
    http://articles.philly.com/2011-02-21/sports/28614454_1_laptop-student-athletes-xavier
    Obviously this doesn't implicate him outright, but seems odd timing to have two students get in trouble for unrelated problems before the same game. I'll see if I can find any more.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

According to the Birmingham paper's follow-up, Martelli is the chairman of the NCAA basketball ethics committee.

11. Moderator1

So if that's right and Martelli's point is look, we cut you a monster break, that thing could have been MUCH worse, so maybe you owe ME that final year -- is he really the asshole here?

My point is that thing in SI was one-sided and we probably need to know the whole story before making a judgment.

12. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Yes he is and has been since 2009 I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted