1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball box score question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swish, Dec 8, 2006.

1. swish

swish New Member

I'm sure I should be banished from the profession for this, but I've never had to do a complete box score before.

As for the rebounds, there's a line at the bottom for "team" rebounds. What qualifies as a "team" rebound?

Thanks in advance and I can accept all abuse for such a question as I know it is warranted.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When a shot goes out of bounds without control being established by either team, and the ball is awarded by the officials to the opposite team, they get a team rebound.

3. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

As I believe somebody mentioned in an earlier thread, every shot either has a basket or a rebound.

4. swish

swish New Member

That makes sense. Thank you.

And I agree, Millen should be shipped out of town.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It took me about 15 years before I understood the team rebound.

6. Franklin

Franklin Member

what about if they miss the front end of a two-shot foul? i thought those were dead ball rebounds, but NBA boxes don't have dead ball rebounds any more.

7. Jeff_Rake

Jeff_Rake Member

So when you clang it off the rim and it sails out of bounds, who do you reward the rebound to?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's a defensive team rebound.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.ncaa.org/library/statistical/basketball_stats_manual/2007/2007_basketball_stats_manual.pdf

Pages 15 and 16:

(b) A team rebound is credited to the team that is entitled to the ball for a throw-in if the ball has gone out of bounds after a missed goal but before there was player control. However, this does not include cases where the ball is out of bounds because it passes over the backboard or touches the supports or back of the backboard, the ceiling, or overhead equipment or supports, unless the ball was touched by a player after the missed goal but before the ball was out of bounds.

(c) A dead-ball rebound is credited whenever the ball is dead after a missed goal but before it meets the conditions for an individual or team rebound.
    It is credited as follows:
    (1) To the team that is entitled to the ball for a throw-in or a free throw.
    (2) To the team that shot the ball if the ball becomes dead due to the expiration of time or if the ball was shot after the expiration of time.
    (3) To the team into whose basket a defensive player tips a missed shot.
    (4) To the team into whose basket an offensive player deflects a missed shot without intent.
    (d) There is a distinction between team and dead-ball rebounds. There can be no team rebound unless the ball has gone out of bounds without a player first earning an individual rebound. If the ball becomes dead before it meets the requirement for either an individual or a team rebound, then a dead-ball rebound is credited (see Section 3, Article 1).

Why keep dead-ball rebounds? Because team rebounds reflect team rebounding ability, while dead-ball rebounds do not. In national rankings, individual and team rebounds are included, but dead-ball rebounds are not. Analysis of game statistics indicates that team and dead-ball rebounds account for about five percent of a team’s rebounds. Therefore, if dead-ball rebounds are counted as team rebounds, it could affect the national rankings.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No rebound awarded there.

11. swish

swish New Member

STOP THE MADNESS!

12. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Is a steal a turnover for the other team? Some SID once told me that a player jacking up a shot from midcourt at the buzzer doesn't count in the stats as a miss. I told him it did because it counts if it goes in.

Draft saved Draft deleted