1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basic iPod Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I finally joined the 21st century and got an iPod. I love everything about it except for the headphones -- I hate putting those things in my ears. Any suggestions for a good pair of headphones which go over the ears? Don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to pay a little more if they are decent.

Also, any suggestions for interesting podcasts?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Podcasts: I subscribe to two. Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and All Songs Considered. Both on NPR.

Earphones: I'm not of much help (i like the buds) but I know there are some that go around the back of your neck and up over your ears which look like they'd be less trouble than standard ones.

3. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

I hate the earbuds that come with the iPod/iPhone - they always fall out and the sound quality is awful.

Sony has the best deal for sound quality/price.
    I use the ones that wrap around the back of the neck instead of on top of the head because those always mess up my hair (flame away if you like).

4. imjustagirl

Oh, I don't use those earbuds. They weren't shaped right.

I just bought these today to use at the gym:

[​IMG]

Only mine are pink and black. yay pink!

5. Search for the things that interest you in iTunes and you'll find some podcasts you'll like.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Go get the Ricky Gervais podcasts from a couple of years ago. Legendary.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Webster, I have a pair of the predecessor to these and one pair of these:

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.105181400

Much better sound quality than the apple ear buds or a cheaper pair... Not the highest-end ones made by Shure, but pretty damned good. They go in the ear, but they come with different sized attachments and you can use foam or rubberized ones to find what fits best and is most comfortable. They go in ear and drown out other sound... On subway, they nearly drown out everything else. I think Moddy got a pair too when he asked about earphones and liked them.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Podcasts I listen to:
    "Michael Feldman's Whad'Ya Know"
    "Football Weekly" from the Guardian (football=soccer)
    "This American Life"
    The previously mentioned "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me"

I also commend any/all Ricky Gervais, although most of now is in the form of audiobooks (pay) rather than podcasts (free).

I use earbuds because I have major earwax issues when I try to use those in-ear ones. Major. Yeesh.

9. imjustagirl

The things could spin gold when they're not in my ear and I would never pay $150 for earphones. I don't judge those who do (you might not spend money on what I spend it on) but I just don't see a way in which those could be worth 15-20 times what I pay.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't pay $150 for my E2Cs or SE210s. I see that is the price on their site. But I got a pair through J&R first, and a pair through Circuit City a few years later. I can't remember exactly how much they cost, but they were less than $100.

11. imjustagirl

I pay $8.99. :D

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

About those around-the-ears things ... I just threw mine out. Be SURE that the rubber earpiece never becomes loose, because it will never hold together again. Mine lasted me about three weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted