1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Worst MVP Choices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by carson08, Apr 29, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Once every month or so, the dickhead is 100% correct.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

On the bright side, though, he did take 11-year-old Mindy McCready out for ice cream multiple times that summer.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

what the hell does that mean?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sparky Anderson gave an interview that very year, 1987, saying Bell deserved the MVP more than Trammell did. The facts bear him out - Trammell led Bell in batting average, on-base percentage and hits, but Bell led in every other offensive category - RBI, runs, total bases, slugging, OPS, extra-base hits and home runs.

Yeah, I know, I'm late to the ball game, so to speak. It sucks to only be able to visit this place once or twice a week...... :(

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Little thing like coughing up that 3 1/2 game lead in the last week should have worked in Bell's favor too... oh, yeah. it did.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Kobe Bryant over Chris Paul this year was pretty asinine........oh wait, wrong sport....

OK, baseball.....

Kirk Gibson -- screw the home run it happened after the voters had cast their ballots -- in 1988 was pretty absurd.

Dennis Eckersley in 1992 was a little silly

Terry Pendelton over Barry Bonds in 1991 was just plain theivery

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't forget, OOP, that Wright won a Gold Glove at third base last season. I'd say that should pretty much equal out the defensive argument, though short might be tougher than third to defend.

In the end, Rollins' final push -- along with the Phillies jumping the Mets -- earned him the MVP, and rightfully so.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Carson,
    It's most valuable player; not player with the best stats.
    Would the Mets not made the playoffs without Wright? Yup. Would the Phillies have won the A.L. East without Rollins? Probably not.
    It's the same argument for Vaughn over Belle. The Indians had the division wrapped up without Belle's numbers (in addition, he put up a good number of them once the thing was over); the Sox had no shot to win the East without Vaughn.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Philly won by a game. Are 15 guys on the team who all deserve it over Wright?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would take the shortstop over the third baseman for defensive impact. Rollins had fewer errors than Wright(11 to 21) at a tougher position, so I do believe he had an edge defensively as well.

I thought it was pretty even overall, with the tiny advantage going to Rollins because his team won the division.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

buckweaver, '91 wasn't an all-time injustice, but it was the wrong call.

I don't see how Bonds' performance in '90 matters. And a lot of things changed for the Braves beyond just the arrival of Pendleton that year. I have always thought that he got more credit than he deserved for the team's turnaround just because of the timing of his arrival.

Bonds hit more home runs (25-22), scored more runs (95-94) and drove in more (116-86). Pendleton did have the higher batting average, but Bonds had a much better OBP. Bonds also stole 43 bases. Pendleton stole 10.

Bonds also won his second Gold Glove in left field while Pendleton had 24 errors at third base, the second-worst total of his career.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I agree with you now, and I said something similar in September.

Draft saved Draft deleted