1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Worst MVP Choices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by carson08, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Every year Albert Pujols didn't win.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah because Bonds didn't do anything in those seasons...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes. Bonds was robbed that year (1991), and that was before he started expanding his hat size.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

1999 ... Pedro won Cy Young, though, so I'm not crying too much for Petey.

And OPS+ is a horseshit statistic that most certainly shouldn't be used when comparing MVPs from 1942.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What does it measure BP23?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It measures on-base plus slugging "adjusted for park and league." So a hitter who plays in a pitcher's park or league will get credit added to his numbers, while a hitter in a hitter's park will see his OPS+ take an adjusted hit.

I'm not much of believer in their methods for "adjustment" anyway, but even if one were to give the sabermetricians credit for it, it's incomplete. For instance, it doesn't take into account which side of the plate they bat from, so a righty hitting in Yankee Stadium is given the same adjustment as a lefty.

As I said, it's horseshit and to bring it into an MVP discussion of guys from 1942 is asinine.

7. carson08

carson08 New Member

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Anything + that is adjusted by some esoteric statistical formula -- also known as sabermetric masturbation -- is a bullshit stat.
    And why should a MVP NEVER have a .344 OBP? What is the saber minimum OBP for a MVP? .370? .400?
    And who the fuck made you the decider of such things?

9. carson08

carson08 New Member

Jeez man, don't get so mad.

Well if you want to give out an MVP to someone with a .344 OBP then go right ahead. .344 OBP is barely above average. So barely above average constitues an MVP now?

And no, I'm not huge on sabermetrics. There are a lot of saber stats I don't like. But some are very good to use. I can tell you right now OPS+ tells you a lot more about a hitter than someone's RBI totals.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why is OBP your big determining factor?
    The rest of Rollins' numbers mean nothing to you?

Top 5 in NL is OBP...2007

Bonds-SFG **.480
    Helton-COL .434
    Pujols-STL .429
    Jones-ATL .425
    Wright-NYM .416

So that makes Bonds your MVP?

11. carson08

carson08 New Member

It's not my big determining factor. It's one of a few. I said Rollins over Wright, so obviously Bonds wasn't my MVP choice. Although he had a much better year than people believe he did.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

As a Mets fan, Carson, I can honestly say Rollins deserved it over Wright.

Draft saved Draft deleted