1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Worst MVP Choices

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by carson08, Apr 29, 2008.

1. carson08

carson08 New Member

3) 1942 A.L. MVP: Yankee's shortstop Joe Gordon took home the trophy. He was voted ahead of Redsox leftfielder Ted Williams. Gordon had a great year. He posted a line of .322/.409/.491 with 18 round trippers and an OPS+ of 155. But when you look at Ted Williams' numbers there's no question who was better. Teddy Ballgame posted a line of .356/.499/.648 with 36 homeruns and a jaw dropping OPS+ of 217. Along with those outstanding numbers, Williams also took home the triple crown. Although he was the better player, Williams only obtained 249 points (9 first place votes) while Gordon had 270 points (12 first place votes).

2) 1925 A.L. MVP: The award in 1925 went to Washington Senators shortstop Roger Peckinpaugh. Peckinpaugh put up a line of .294/.367/.379 with a not so great OPS+ of 91.The man Peckinpaugh beat out for the award was Philadelphia A's outfielder Al Simmons. Simmons posted a line of .387/.419/.599 with 24 long balls and an OPS+ 149. The voting system was different this time and Peckinpaugh tallied 45 points from the voters to edge out Simmons who garnered 41.

1) 1944 N.L. MVP: No one is quite sure what the voters were thinking that year. Marty Marion, shortstop for the St. Louis Cardinals, beat teammate Stan Musial for the 1944 N.L prize. Unlike most bad MVP choices, Marion had a bad year with an unimpressive line .267/.324/.362 and an OPS+ of 91. Musial had an incredible line of .347/.440/.549 with 51 doubles and an OPS+ of 175. Despite the great season where he was clearly the best player, Musial only finished 4th on the ballot. Marion accumulated 190 points (7 first place votes) while Musial only obtained 136 points (3 first place votes). 1944 is true head scratcher.

HM: Morneau over everyone in 2006, Maris over Mantle in 1961, Gonzalez over Belle in 1996, and Rollins over Wright last year.

I'm sure I'm missing some. What do you guys think?

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

1995 - Mo Vaughn over Albert Belle.......Belle deserved the MVP that year.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gonzalez over Belle in 1996 was a joke...

Cal Ripken over Eddie Murray in 1983...

IRod over Pedro in the late 90s, I don't remember what year. It was Pedro's best season...

Larkin over Bichette in the 1990s. Don't remember the year.

Ted Williams was screwed a number of times because the media hated him...

4. Mizzougrad96

Belle should have won a couple times...

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I guess we don't have enough list threads. This one should begin and end with MVP Andre Dawson of the last-place Cubs.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think Rollins over Wright belongs on that list. Rollins got his team into the playoffs -- over Wright's. Had the Mets won a few more games, it'd be a different story.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe we need a best/worst list thread thread.

8. rube

rube Active Member

You're on to something.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

George Bell over anyoneAlan Trammell.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I love the use of adjusted OPS in this situation, as if anyone who voted in any MVP race before five years ago had ever heard of OPS, much less the adjusted version.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Terry Pendleton over whoever else that year.

12. Mizzougrad96

Wasn't Bonds second that year?

Draft saved Draft deleted