1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's perfect financial setup vs. the dreaded NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never said it was anything but my opinion. But are you actually saying it is a good thing for a sport if some teams have a built-in advantage. Not an earned advantage, like what the Patriots have right now. But one that just gets handed to them by geography?

I really don't understand that thinking.

And I don't see how saying the NFL's system is more fair is silly at all. It is my sense of fairness that motivates me to bother with the argument at all. Give everybody the same chance to succeed, then let 'em try to kick each others' asses. That's what sports should be about. That is what it is about in the NFL, not quite so much in Major League Baseball.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Want to discuss baseball's luxury tax vs. the NFL's salary cap? No need to litter the Johan Santana thread anymore with that, bring it here.

Please.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

They're littering the Santana thread... Christ. Boston wins a World Series and it brings out the element of baseball that wants to shut down the game.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I had posted the following on the Santana Sweepstakes thread...

...and it got me to thinking. Is there a way for MLB to monitor the shared revenue teams' expenditures? Clearly, there are teams--Pittsburgh, Minnesota for starters--that just pocket the cash. There has to be some sort of penalty for the teams that receive accept shared revenue but don't do a damn thing with it.

5. outofplace

I thought there were rules governing the use of the money from revenue sharing. Seems like MLB just isn't going to enforce them. Notice one of the worst offenders is Selig's buddy Pohlad, the same jackass that supposedly wanted his team to be contracted a few years back so he could pocket a "settlement" from the other owners.

This is why I support having a floor, but that ain't gonna happen without a cap.

6. outofplace

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7506206

Ken Rosenthal chimes in on topic, basically suggesting the gap is going to grow even wider.

7. outofplace

Bumped....for argument purposes.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

9. outofplace

And thank you for that fine contribution.

Pardon me for trying to work with the other posters who were tired of that crap on the Hot Stove thread.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

How about you just not discuss it altogether?

You, Simon and Beej are the only ones posting on this anymore. NO. ONE. ELSE. GIVES. A. FLYING. FUCK.

EDIT: You know what, do whatever the hell you want. The button it is.

11. outofplace

Childish, but ok. Do nothing but instigate, them blame me.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Everyone here does know the NFL has a floor as well as a cap, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.