1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's perfect financial setup vs. the dreaded NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The disavowing that a cap levels the playing field is the most incredible thing I have ever heard.

It's like you are this intelligent kid, who randomly blurts, Tourette's-like, when given this one single stimulus.

Major League Baseball teams who have made the postseason since 2000 (eight per year):

19 of 30 teams.

NFL teams who have earned one of the top four seeds (a home playoff game) since 2000 (eight per year):

26 of 32 teams
  2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And you needed a separate thread for this why?
  4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Leave him alone. If he wants to whack off to the NFL's superiority for the thousandth time, better here than anywhere.
  5. Simon_Cowbell

Because some whiners were complaining on the other thread... probably rightfully so.
  6. Simon_Cowbell

You and BYH disavowing it is simply incredibly beautiful theater.

Little seam lemmings.
  7. Simon_Cowbell

The fact that 98 percent of MLB teams finish within a mere 15 percentage points of .500 in any given year damns you. Despite the predisposition of baseball teams to be so bunched together, their number of champions is merely close to the NFL's. Within that, baseball boasts the Yankees and Dodgers with 10 titles, while the NFL can crow about Pittsburgh and Green Bay having nine.

With five-game baseball playoff series such a crapshoot, and seven-gamers only slightly less so... the NFL's proximity with baseball on the titlist front is incredible.

But, we know that making the playoffs is really the thing year after year.
  8. Simon_Cowbell

same number of teams.

A smaller percentage of NFL teams hosts a playoff game each year than the percentage of MLB teams that play in front of their home fans in the postseason.
  9. Simon_Cowbell

OK, Rob Dibble.
  10. Simon_Cowbell

Man... you have become a kindergartener on this thread... as you always do. For every upset of a team in football, you can find a half-dozen in baseball.

When was the last time a baseball series had a money line of -300 (a team favored by a touchdown in the NFL) or greater on it? That's right, you have rarely seen it. Because luck reigns in baseball, even in a series of seven games, unlike it does in football. It ain't the NHL, but it's close.

If an oddsmaker thinks a baseball game is lopsided, he will favor a team by 1 1/2 runs. That should tell you about how each baseball game, no matter the matchup, can go either way.

Are you going to argue this?
  11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Wow. Just wow.
  12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

See, that's where you're wrong. I have NEVER, EVER argued that baseball's system was superior to football. Frankly, I like both sports. I think they both have flaws, but both are entertaining enough to make following them worthwhile.

I just don't understand why you, OOP or anyone else is so adamant that the NFL's "system" is better, and that it has to be brought up in every. goddamn. discussion.

Baseball doesn't have a cap -- so the fuck what? Teams still have to play, games still have to be won, the Yankees have the most money, and life goes on. Doesn't make it any less fun, at least to me. Same goes with football.

If you have a problem with the system, fine. Doesn't make it inferior, except in your own head.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.