1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Most Overpaid Players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 5, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

that is just effin' freakin' ridiculous.

way to stir the jeter-bashing pot, though. it's been sorely lacking thus far in '09.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The Phillies gave Adam Eaton $9 million to go away - 8.5 for this season and a 500K buyout for next.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Wow, Lidge is No. 1 on that list? Talk about short memories or ignoring that he's saved his last four games without giving up a run.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Almost as bad as Ortiz being #3. Sure, he's in a hell of a slump. But he's been worth the coin for most of his deal.

Like I said, Chief is on the top of this list, and it ain't close. I literally laughed out loud when Seattle gave him that deal.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I believe it's nine years, $44 million.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

How Vernon Wells and his 7 year $126 million didn't make the list is beyond me. Currently hitting.257 with 5 HR and 25 RBI. He went 19 games at one point this season without getting a single RBI. He has the worst OBP at 0.310 of all starting Jays and is slugging just 0.394.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'd like to add David Wright to the list. Never been a big fan.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I always have a hard time with these lists. If someone was signed to a six or seven year deal and had great seasons for four years, but is struggling in the fifth, they love to put him on these things.

9. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

I can't tell if that's a sarcastic comment or not--I hope it is. The guy has a career OPS+ of 140, and last year he made $5.25 million. I don't really see a better way to spend that money...at least from a baseball standpoint.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

And he's hitting .362 this year.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

How many guys are playing in the majors? Whatever that number is, that's the number of overpaid players in MLB.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Whatever you were paid for that post was too much. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted