1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Dominican investigation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Hypothetically - Jose Rios runs the Dominican Academy (Dominican scouting) for the Nats. He tells the kid (or the kid's parent) that the Nats are going to overpay him by $1 million if the kid "plays ball". In exchange the kid is going to give his parents half of that money as a good son should. The parents then give say $300,000 back to Rios who in turn splits that with his boss (Bowden) and his boss uses his newly received $150,000 to buy himself some new wheels.

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/chatter/NATS_1505_02191346.jpg

In this situation the kid did get every penny of the money that was promised him. He can tell all the papers - "I got every penny!" It was his parents who gave the kickback. If Bowden or Rios was smart enough to cover their tracks by putting the money in a numbered account in the Cayman Islands or some other banking haven - then it would be really hard to prove any wrongdoing. As long as everyone keeps quiet.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which begs the question, why does a guy like Bowden or Rijo need that money?

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Who says he has to need it? I mean, I don't "need" $200,000. But I sure as hell wouldn't turn it down if the opportunity presented itself.

4. For the same reason the 1919 White Sox players took money - their owners are ultra cheap.

That's IF they took any money. Bowden and Rios could be 100% innocent and just being smeared because the FBI wanted to talk to them. Consider that Dave Wilder had $40,000 from just one trip. If he made two such deals per year then that would have been an extra $80,000 per year in tax free cash. I'm guessing that would have come in handy.

5. Armchair_QB

My point is that scouts at Wilder's level - and front office guys like Bowden - make pretty good money. They aren't missing any meals. Makes you wonder if there's a gambling or drug problem.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought the timing of this, juxtaposed with the Orioles scout getting fired for gambling on sports, was interesting.

Might be a coincidence. Might all be a part of the same spool of thread, too.

7. So when the news says the teams are being investigated - that's false? Because from what you're saying the teams are the victims.

8. Armchair_QB

That's what I'm thinking too. Too much of a coincidence.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I also think the Red Sox are breathing a giant-ass sigh of relief that they never had to worry about offering Dave Wilder their GM job.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Bowden could use some extra money. He got his ass kicked when he got divorced a few years ago and he's still paying a bundle in child support. He's hooked up now with a high-maintenance fiance.

11. It's the teams that are paying the money and the employees (i.e scouts) that are skimming. Yes - the teams are the victims. The articles should say that employees of every MLB team are being looked into.

Think about it - why would the teams need to skim the money from themselves?

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did he trade all his pitching prospects to get her?

Draft saved Draft deleted