1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's "code"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Howie Clark. Had Troy Glaus been playing that night, I guarantee you Rodriguez doesn't do that.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wonders what the big deal is about a code.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The best thing about the ARod incident was it clued me in to the book about "The Code" published a few years back. I've always wondered about that stuff and was surprised that there isn't that much black and white stuff, more about respecting your teammates, respecting the game and respecting the opponents.
    One of the reasons I like football, players are too busy trying to win to have time to sit around and develop such "unwritten rules." It's funny, 90 percent of the rules seem to involve pitchers and not hurting their feelings.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I love how baseball people get all high and mighty about the code.
    Fucking relax. He walked across the pitcher's mound. Next time he's up, drill him in the ass.
    The people who are up in arms about this are the same who were furious about Manny before he was forced out of Boston. Who the fuck cares. The Manny thing really pissed me off because everyone was bitching about the not hustling thing and completely ignoring the "he's mashing the crap out of the ball" thing, which is kind of the point of Manny.

5. WS

WS Member

1. A-Rod did it on purpose, just like he did to the Blue Jays third baseman when he caused him to miss a pop-up a couple of years ago (and should have been knocked out by a Blue Jay on the spot)

2. Who is Dallas Braden? Didn't know guys with just a handful of major league wins had the authority to rule the diamond

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yep, those football players are all business. That's why "unsportsmanlike conduct" isn't enough and specific rules have to be written about taunting and excessive celebrations.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The thing that bugged me about A-Rod yelling at the Jays infielder was that I thought he should have saved that trick for either the playoffs or the World Series.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Now that you mention it, in the Royals-Red Sox game I was at earlier this month, I saw David DeJesus run back by the mound and clean his spikes before going back to first after a foul ball. Josh Beckett (or whatever reliever) didn't seem to have a problem with it.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Everyone here pissing about baseball's "code" - take a moment to recall this thread the next time some NFL headcase jacks you up for "walking on the logo" in the locker room.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Umm, what's your point? I could care less about off the field stuff. If my co-worker acted like a lazy slob but still got the work done, i wouldn't care. He could body check our receptionist and it wouldn't bother me.
    I feel the same about athletes. As long as what he does off the field doesn't effect his play on the field, it doesn't matter.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Those "specific rules" don't have to be written. The refs have always had all the weapons they needed to stop it.

Draft saved Draft deleted