1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's Code of Retribution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tapintoamerica, Jun 5, 2008.

1. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

Would Crisp ever stand during a game if every person he offended threw at him?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Stupid move by Shields throwing at Crisp in the second inning. Good way to kill the bullpen.

Stupid move by Crisp charging the mound. They already are without Manny in the outfield because of the hammy, and Ortiz is hurt. And now Jacoby Ellsbury jams his wrist making a catch in center. Sure, Ellsbury could've gotten hurt on another play in left, but he wouldn't have been in center had Crisp not been tossed. So now they're without two outfielders, and they had Youk in right (he hadn't played the outfield in two years, and never right) and Drew in center tonight. Sure, they'll call up Moss now, but in the process of Crisp's idiocy, they may have lost Ellsbury for a spell.

Stupid all the way around.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

How does Lester stay in the game when--after the fight--he hit TWO batters and sends another one to the Ground? wouldn't there be a warning right after the fight? And does Coco face a stiffer penalty if MLB looks at his comments from the previous night as being premediated "I hope they throw at me."

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Crisp's post game comments made him, well, less than likable.

Hard to talk tough when you have a riser below your eye.

Great pancake on Manny by the Rays' catcher.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/06/coco_on_the_bra_1.html

If I was Coco, I would pray that Marte never becomes the stud some people thought he was going to blossom into.

5. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Does anybody really think Bartlett was trying to hurt Crisp on that play that started it all? The throw was behind him, he was just reaching back. Maybe his leg stayed down for a split second longer than necessary, but that was just a silly overreaction by Crisp.

If you administered a lie detector to some of his teammates, I bet a lot of them are pissed at him right now for all this crap.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Sox radio guys did make mention of Manny being late to the party, but also thought he could have been in the clubhouse at the time.

7. 93Devil

So who was the Tampa catcher body slamming? Was that Crisp?

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yes. Shields and Crisp both whiffed on their initial punches, then the catcher slammed Crisp. And everyone piled on.

9. 93Devil

Thanks Inky.

I guess little girls slam grown men on their backs.

10. I don't put this one on the umps.

Coco gets hit in the leg. He goes to first. No one ejected. No fights. We all move on.

Coco was totally out of bounds in the previous game. The Rays had to do something.

11. Grimace

Grimace Guest

And what was Shields doing swinging with his right hand? If he makes contact he's out for the year with a broken hand. Dumbass.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If he *DOESN'T* swing with either hand, he's called a pussy.

Frankly, I'd rather be called a dumbass for swinging at some cereal name-having two-bit punk than be called a pussy.

Draft saved Draft deleted