1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball's biggest miscreants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 17, 2007.

?

Which of these players has caused the biggest headaches?

1. Albert Belle

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. Vince Coleman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Elijah Dukes

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Milton Bradley

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Jose Canseco

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Pete Rose

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  7. Ty Cobb

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  8. John Rocker

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  9. Delmon & Dmitri Young

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Unfortunately, every dude on this list probably has dozens of these kind of stories on their resumes. It sucks that getting in your car and chasing some kids through the neighborhood can tarnish that. I mean, who hasn't done that?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not sure he's the worst, but Urbina is in a Venezuelan jail for attempted murder. The dude has millions of dollars and in a piss poor country, didn't have enough to buy his way out of his problems. He's gotta be really, really guilty to not be able to get himself out of that jam.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I forgot about Ugueth Urtain Urbina. I'm sure I'm not alone, though.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

How about the Young brothers, Dmitri and Delmon?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not a bad choice, if you combine their transgressions.

But I still think almost beating a man to death, plus gambling on baseball, gives Cobb the nod.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I saw this on his Wikipedia entry and it seems too good to be true, but too odd to be completely made up:

"A provision in Waddell's contract-- inserted at his catcher's insistence-- prohibited Waddell from eating crackers in bed. (Players shared beds on road trips.)"

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

If I had included the litany of drug users from the 80s, this would have been a VERY long list. Same thing with the alchies from every era. The players I was targeting are either malicious and/or engage in reckless, selfish behavior without caring about the consequences. Plus, Bonds is just a plain old jerk. He's Ted Williams with a better tan & on the juice.

As far as the Young brothers, I tried to diversify the choices, otherwise I'd incur the wrath of sportsbra. Urbina's case was, sadly, a one-shot deal. I don't recall a prior history of violence and/or aberrant behavior.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And there were extenuating circumstances with Urbina, IIRC. His mother had been kidnapped and no one knew where she was.

I can't remember tho if that had anything to do with why he's sitting in prison right now. It may have contributed or it may have been one incident right after another.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Point taken.

Honorable mentions go to Julio Lugo and Wil Cordero.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I can't remember who put it up, but I remember from the Indians clubhouse a sign of Albert Belle's locker that read "This year, I promise to be calm, cool and collected" and then had a crushed can of shaving cream taped to it. That's always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of him. Well, that and 50 home runs / 50 doubles.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think of cork. And Joey.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think that was all seperate from this incident. He's in jail because he found some of his workers swimming in a pool or something that they weren't supposed to be doing, and he went after them with a machete and poured gasoline on them. Or at least something along those lines.

Draft saved Draft deleted