1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball writer, Orange County Register

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ksharon, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

1. Read Chuck Klosterman
    2. Awkwardly write own Saved By The Bell-themed article/blog post/thing
    3. ??????
    4. PROFIT

If this kid doesn't step his game up, he's going to be Tori.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Piotr, at this stage of the game I'm wondering if Freedom is even a major media company if they allow stuff like this... lol. (With apologies in advance to any Freedom-ites on this board.)

3. ickeywoods

ickeywoods New Member

Woike should take notes from this kid: http://itsneversunnyincincinnati.blogspot.com/

If I want Reds or Bengals beat news, I go to the Cincinnati Enquirer. If I want an absolutely ridiculous take somewhat based on fact, I go to the above blog (the above blog understands that Knight Rider references are better than Saved by the Bell references)

Woike's Saved by the Bell piece almost made me not want to Ickey Shuffle ever again. A sports/entertainment team beat writer can exist, they just have to know what they're doing.

4. spud

spud Member

My first gig was at a Freedom rag, and its a cut above the slimeballs we're used to in this business. The pay is alright, you've got a decent full benefits package and you're generally surrounded by good people. Something tells me the OC Register deserves more blame for this inept decision.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I think you guys are being a little hard on the guy. He's been on the beat a month, spring training is only now starting up. He's been limited on things to write about and brass was probably pushing him to blog. It's a blog. And yeah, right now it's kind of a crappy one, but I suspect you'll see less of this stuff once he is able to build his network and the season gets into swing.

I reserve my right to come back and delete this post if this sort of drivel continues.

6. jetssack

jetssack Member

Kate Hudson dumped A-Rod months ago b/c he kept texting his ex, Madonna.

The reason I know this is because here in the tabloid capital, NYC, even the rag NYPost had the sense to put that story in its gossip column - Page Six - and not its sports section.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I suppose we could wait and see how he does during Angels season, right? :)

Spud, that's why I apologized in advance to Freedom-ites. I know not every Freedom paper is in lockstep. It just pains me because on my previous trips to LA, the OCR has been a very good read and a complement to the LA Times. Stuff like this blog just cheapens the process.

8. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Maybe some of this is fueled by sour grapes, but I think it's way too early to rake this dude over the coals. Come on now, we've all written some duds, me included, and Spring Training hasn't even started yet.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

This has Keith Sharon written all over it. He's the guy calling the shots at the OCR sports department now. The same guy who sent a reporter into the Angels locker room for players' opinions on the winner of the baby photo contest (the winner was wearing Angels gear). It's also the same Keith Sharon who credentialed himself for spring training years ago and showed up in the Angels' clubhouse wearing an Angels jersey.

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The first post on this thread would confirm your suspicions :)

11. Uh, no. when you were starting out, major newspapers did hire young reporters, who did not have to work their way up from podunk. They just did not hire you. (Or me.) Or most of us -- we are far from alone in this regard. But it did happen, and it always has.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm curious how old you are that you would know that?

Because no, it did not happen -- not very often, anyway. And, it certainly didn't happen with the regularity that it does now.

And when it did, those reporters were interns, or worked on agate/preps, oftentimes for years. And then, they were told they had to go elsewhere to then work their way up to higher-level assignments. And then, if they were good, and fortunate, they might be able to come back to the major papers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.