1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball withdrawals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shoeless Joe, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I was watching Eight Men Out this afternoon and developed a bad case of baseball withdrawals when I realized it's going to be three and a half months until opening day. :'(

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I miss baseball too.

I really have no interest in the NFL, NBA, or NHL. And without baseball, there's not much else on TV that I want to watch.

Can't wait 'til spring.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Pitchers and catchers report: Feb. 23, 2010.

69 days or something like that.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Get the MLB Network, you addicts. A half-hour of black and white highlights of the 1949 World Series and the shakes will be gone for an hour or so.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Buckweaver would chime in here, but he's holding his knees tight to his chest and watching the 1991 Game Seven again, hoping the 72,000th viewing will have the special director's cut ending. :D :D

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I used to get the withdrawals right after the last game of the WS.

Now I don't care much.

Should I seek professional help or just watch more hockey? :)

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

You live in Toronto, dude. You don't have baseball there. (too soon?)

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised someone hasn't started an indoor baseball league in the U.S. from November to January. You could play in Seattle, Toronto, Houston, Minnesota, Tampa and Arizona. People would come Ray.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, given the state of things it's not impossible to see no baseball in Toronto within ten years.

The dysfunctional management since the back-to-back world series has been depressing. And I'm sorry, but the worst GM int the franchises' history was Ricciardi, a guy who oozed smarminess. He acted as if he invented the sport in the city. Whatever limited baseball smarts he may have had were negated by his total inability (or unwillingness) to connect with either the media or the fans.

Halladay was the only bona fide star in recent memory and now we're left with one of the great underachieving and most handsomely paid Jays of all time, Vernon Wells plus a bunch of no-namers.

The Jays could turn into the Phoenix Coyotes of MLB.

The only (well, maybe not the only) thing that could help save the sport in the city is a new baseball only stadium.

I assume you've been to the Rogers Centre, BYH? It's about as depressing a place to watch a game since the Big Owe.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

People would NOT come to a baseball game--even to see the reincarnation of the '27 Yankees--in the winter in Toronto. They'd be lucky to draw 2,000 people

11. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Yup, nobody's going to that shit.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah I've been there a few times. I had a hard time believing it was once the Crown Jewel of the game.

The criticism about Ricciardi is spot-on...always spent his time currying favor with national guys, so that's why you always read in the lower 48 about how smart and hard-working he was. And how could he think Vernon Wells was a good idea long-term? He peaked at 24 and showed dog-like tendencies well before he signed that extension.

I don't think the Jays will move or fold, but it has been an awful 16 years. It's amazing to think that as much time as passed since their championships as passed between their founding and their first title.

Draft saved Draft deleted