1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball umpire killed in Va. plane crash first identified in sports story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by J.C. Wolf, Mar 5, 2010.

1. J.C. Wolf

J.C. Wolf Member

Yesterday was a heck of a day, to say the least.

I'm posting this not so much to pat myself on the back, but just in an effort to share my experience. I've never quite stacked quotes like this, but it was written on a tight deadline after lots of reporting and, honestly, what was I supposed to do? Paraphrase? That didn't seem the way to go.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch, a sister paper, used quotes from this story in its news account today and credited my paper with first identifying the pilot. Calling the pilot's wife was difficult. I tried twice, and part of me is disappointed I couldn't get ahold of her. At the same time, another part of me is thrilled she didn't pick up.

http://www2.godanriver.com/gdr/sports/sports/article/baseball_umpire_killed_in_plane_crash_while_on_the_way_to_danville/18635/

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good job. But that's not a sports story. That's a news story written by a sports writer.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jesus.
    Guy took care of himself, he looks 33 instead of 63

4. J.C. Wolf

J.C. Wolf Member

No doubt. But it ran in the sports section. It's partly a story about umpires and the fraternity they share, a spin I tried to give it since I knew it was appearing in sports and not news.

One of the umpires I talked to last night said he looked more like 40, and that baseball must have kept him young.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wondered if the photo was 20 years old.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

``The journalistic principles are the same for covering a pennant race or a race riot. You use your eyes, your ears, and, as Jimmy Breslin has always preached, your legs. You go to the scene. You talk to the people involved. You ask questions. You look for the small details that reinforce credibility, and then, using those details, using quotes, using the richness of the English language, you tell the story as vividly, as honestly, as compellingly as you can.''

- Dick Schaap

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I figured he had been traveling to Canada to visit Dr. Anthony Galea.

Draft saved Draft deleted