1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball trivia for a slow night

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 22, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, here is another one. I know, Carew is wrong, but I really thought I had it.

Who am I? I pitched post-WWII, and I am not an active pitcher.

Over the last 2 1/2 years of my career, I was 46-28 with 680 innings pitched. In those 680 innings, I allowed 477 hits and fanned 753 batters.

In an average nine-inning start I was allowing just 6.3 hits and fanning 9.9 hitters in my last 2 1/2 years, then I was gone.

2. 93Devil

Yeah, I airballed the original franchise part.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Gary Nolan or Steve Busby come to mind? I'd guess Don Gullett but he hung on with the Yankees for a bit.

Still waiting on the original Montreal Expo.

Here's another teaser. Major-leaguers Ron Cey, John Olerud, Aaron Sele, Scott Hatteburg, Mark Hendrickson, and Mike Kincade, among others, all attended Washington State. But who doesn't belong on this list, and why?

The guy who is the all-time leading hitter for two original franchises is long deceased but has become quite famous again over the last 20 years or so. It's not Rogers Hornsby as he doesn't have enough at-bats with the Cubs.

4. 93Devil

Didn't Olerud go to UW? Why do I remember seeing him in a purple uniform?

During those last 2 1/2 years this guy was one of the most feared pitchers in baseball. He was also one of the top pitchers in the leage, and if I remember correctly he started the All Star game or was scehduled to before he could actually start.

5. Olerud never played in the minor leagues. And I'm guessing the guy who "disappeared" was J.R. Richard.

6. 93Devil

Nice call on J.R.

Maybe I was just impressionable at the time, but he was the guy I wanted to see pitch, not Ryan.

I was thinking Olerud played for the University of Wasington.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Devil, this sounds less like a trivia question and more like you have yourself a little crush.

8. 93Devil

Hell yeah I do. Didn't JR have a 93 mph slider? The guy was insane.

9. micropolitan guy

Olerud is a Coug. He did play in the minors, at Pawtucket when he signed with the Red Sox at the tail end of his career. I think he's the oldest player who had already played in the majors to play his first minor-league game.

10. micropolitan guy

Cleaning up here.

Manny Mota was the first Montreal Expo, selected No. 1 in the expansion draft, from the Pirates.

Shoeless Joe Jackson is the leading all-time hitter (for average) for the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago White Sox.

Major-league pitcher Mark Hendrickson never played college baseball at Wazzu. He played hoops.

Rick Wise retired 32 consecutive Cubs on Sept. 18, 1971. He allowed a leadoff single in the second, and a single with two outs in the 12th of a game he would win. Harvey Haddix lost his game with the Pirates in which he retired 36 hitters in a row.

Draft saved Draft deleted