1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball trivia for a slow night

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 22, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nope. Never played for the Dodgers.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Casey Stengel managed and played for all four. I don't think that counts though. Duke Snyder and Roger Craig also come to mind, but they are not the answer.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The WS stadium question is '83. Memorial Stadium (Balto) and the Vet (Philly) are long gone.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Back after a night's sleep.

Yes, its Bobby Thomson/Robby Thompson.

Two more: 1. Who holds the major-league record for the most consecutive batters retired as a winning pitcher?

2. In the past 50 years, two pitchers have thrown the final pitch of a seven-game World Series. Who are they?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. One is Jeff Reardon, and the other, I think, is Randy Johnson.

6. micropolitan guy

Nope.

Reardon got the final out of the 1987 series. But an Atlanta pitcdher Alejandro Pena threw the final pitch in 1991.

Mariano Rivera threw the final pitch of the Dbacks-Yankees series, not Randy Johnson.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It's Darryl Strawberry.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Time for the answers:

a) Mark Littel was the losing pitcher in Game 5 of the '76 ALCS (gave up Chambliss' homer). Who was the winning pitcher for the Yankees?

Dick Tidrow

b) What Orioles pitcher pitched against the Pirates in the 1971 Series, then eight years later, pitched for the Pirates against the Orioles in the '79 World Series?

Grant Jackson

c) Six players hit home runs in the 1971 All-Star game, and all six were later elected to the Hall of Fame. Who were they?

Frank Robinson, Johnny Bench, Roberto Clemente, Harmon Killebrew, Reggie Jackson, Hank Aaron

d) Who got the first base hit for the Mets in the 1973 World Series?

Willie Mays

e) What is the last World Series played where the stadiums for both teams no longer exist?

1983 (Memorial Stadium, Veterans Stadium)

f) (this one is easy) Who is the only player to play in five World Series for the Orioles (1966, 69, 70, 71, 79 and 83)?

Jim Palmer

g) Who was the starting pitcher for the Cubs in their 23-22 loss to the Phillies in 1979?

Dennis Lamp

h) Who is the only player ever to play for the Yankees, Mets, Cubs and White Sox?

Dick Tidrow (well played, Elliotte)

i) Who is the last pitcher to win at least 20 games and lose at least 20 games in the same season?

Phil Niekro

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Ralph Terry, 1960 Yankees. That's one.

10. micropolitan guy

Ralph Terry is one. 1960 Yankees, 1962 Yankees. He's tricky because he was the losing pitcher in 1960.

The other guy is who I thought woud be easier.

Answering part 2 of BYH's earlier question: Bill Bathe of the Giants homered in the 1989 series after not hittin gone in the regular season.

I think this question would also apply to several pitchers who have homered in the series.

One more teaser: There are 16 original MLB franchises. One player leads two of them in career average. Who?

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I think I'm missing something in the question.. do you mean two pitchers have thrown the final pitch for the same team? Or just the final pitch, period? Because that number is higher than two, methinks.

12. micropolitan guy

Whoops. I meant, two pitchers have thrown the final pitch in the seventh game of two different World Series.

Ralph Terry is one, in 1960 and 1962. There's one other. Now that the question is clarified it should go fairly quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted