1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball trivia for a slow night

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 22, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've got it.

1951 - Bobby Thomson of the NY Giants, the bottom of the ninth inning in Game 3 of the best-of-three NL playoff against the Brooklyn Dodgers. The homer gave the Giants a 5-4 win. The Giants then lost the World Series 4-2 to the New York Yankees.

1989 - Robby Thompson of the SF Giants, the bottom of the seventh inning in Game 3 of the best-of-seven NLCS against the Chicago Cubs. The homer put the Giants up 5-4, which was the final score of the game. The Giants won the NLCS 4-1 and then lost the World Series 4-0 to the Oakland A's.

What's my prize? :D

EDIT: Shee-i-tt!!! Beaten to the punch. And I so already had the prize money spent! ;D

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Great question. This bugged me for a half hour. Now I can lay the heady down.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Congrats, Elliotte. Nice work. :)

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I've got a cold beer and I'm not tired. I also love 1970s baseball. So without further adieu...

(WITHOUT LOOKING AT RETROSHEET.ORG OR THE LIKE...)

a) Mark Littel was the losing pitcher in Game 5 of the '76 ALCS (gave up Chambliss' homer). Who was the winning pitcher for the Yankees?

b) What Orioles pitcher pitched against the Pirates in the 1971 Series, then eight years later, pitched for the Pirates against the Orioles in the '79 World Series?

c) Six players hit home runs in the 1971 All-Star game, and all six were later elected to the Hall of Fame. Who were they?

d) Who got the first base hit for the Mets in the 1973 World Series?

e) What is the last World Series played where the stadiums for both teams no longer exist?

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

b) gotta be Grant Jackson

e) 1984, San Diego/Detroit.

I'd have to look up the other ones

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Grant Jackson is correct.

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

No longer still standing, or no longer in use?

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

No longer standing.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I did use baseball-reference.com to confirm this.

In 1987, a player who did not homer during the regular season went yard in the World Series. The same thing happened in 1989. Who are they?

(25K, feels right to use it on baseball trivia)

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

I thought of some more.

f) (this one is easy) Who is the only player to play in five World Series for the Orioles (1966, 69, 70, 71, 79 and 83)?

g) Who was the starting pitcher for the Cubs in their 23-22 loss to the Phillies in 1979?

h) Who is the only player ever to play for the Yankees, Mets, Cubs and White Sox?

i) Who is the last pitcher to win at least 20 games and lose at least 20 games in the same season?

And my beer stein is empty. Time for the hay. i'll answer them in the mornin'.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

i) Phil Niekro. Went 21-20 in the 70s.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think "i" is Phil Niekro. (damnit Elliotte!)

Would love to know the answer to H. I know it's not Dave Kingman. He's only three-quarters of the way there. I think Claudell Washington is only three-quarters of the way there as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted