1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball trivia for a slow night

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 22, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Here's an easy teaser.

We played for the same franchise

Change one letter in player A's first name and one letter in Player A's last name and you have player B.

We each hit game-winning home runs in the third game of a playoff series to help our team gain the World Series.

Who are we?

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Freakin' Yankees?

3. micropolitan guy

Not Yankees.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

The most memorable game three homer I can think of is George Brett in 1980. At least I think it was game three. Boy I wish we had some Royals fans here to confirm that!!!

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I predict Buck Weaver will answer this correctly.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

7th inning Game 3 at YS off Goose... 3-run shot.. high fastball.. tomahawked the mother to deep right.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember coming home from school to see that. My dad was giddy when he got home. He thought for sure the Yankees were going to come back and win the series.

Then Dick Howser resigned to pursue real estate opportunities.

8. micropolitan guy

We'll let this percolate overnight, I'll be back in the AM to award grades and to congratulate the winner.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I have a question about the question: Does this mean that both series were a sweep, or that the two players homered in the team's third win?

10. micropolitan guy

Both players hit game-winning homers in the third game of a playoff series that immediately preceded their team playing in that year's World Series. Both of which their respective team promptly lost, I might add.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh that's a good hint. Thanks!

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure how, but I think it's Bobby Thomson and Robby Thompson.

1951 & 1989, although by then, Robby's Giants would have needed four wins to take the NLCS.

EDIT: Now I get it. Robby must have homered in Game 3 of the 1989 series. Bobby's famous shot was in Game 3 of the 1951 playoff.

Draft saved Draft deleted