1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread VI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 28, 2006.

1. I didn't see the other thread on the Nats trade. I'll put my thoughts there.

BTW - did anyone see that Gary Gietti was axed by the Astros as hitting coach? I have to wonder if it was because of Gietti's Christian beliefs. I seem to remember that he was a pretty over-the-top Christian.

Maybe it was just God's will?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gary Gaetti.

3. With a Boston accent - its Gietti

4. I used to think that Chris Penn's character in Reservoir Dogs was "Nice Gaetti."

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Clayton was indeed a throw-in. Shoring up the bullpen was the key, and there are inklings that Majewski could take over the closer role later this season.

I think it depends on how the Reds fare in the second half. Bobby Jenks aside, I'm not sure how many teams really want to break-in someone to the closer role during a playoff run. Eddie Guardado is a capable closer for the time being.

6. JT Snow has yet to be signed by a team even though at this point he's basically free.

Is JT Snow's career over?

7. Freelance Hack

At this point in his career, is he anything more than a late-inning defensive replacement? And how many teams have the luxury of a bench spot for such a player, especially one who only plays first?

JT had a good career, but I think it's over.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dusty's probably begging Jim Hendry to sign him right now.

"Dude, he's a veteran. We need him."

9. Freelance Hack

Well, I think Dusty still owes JT for saving his kid during the World Series a few years back.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Any thoughts on the Yankees signing Sidney "No I'm not a whale. Stop pushing me toward the ocean" Ponson?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Signing Ponson is the exact equivalent of buying a Powerball ticket. The Yanks will have three or four days of imagining what lifs like to be rich, that is, what life would be like with another solid starter. Then will come the day of the drawing, I mean, Sid's first start, and Brian Cashman will tear up his ticket just as the Cardinals did.

12. Freelance Hack

One last note on the Reds-Nats trade. I got a good laugh from this Bowden quote:

In his four previous MLB seasons, Kearns did not register 400 AB in any one season. And he has battled through thumb, shoulder and leg injuries.

Bowden should know this more than anyone else. Don't be surprised if Austin pulls up lame or goes on the DL sometime in the scond half.

Draft saved Draft deleted