1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread VI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 28, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dr. Bill Plaschke, MD commiting journalistic malpractice again.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke12jul12,1,6351424,full.column?coll=la-headlines-sports

He used to rail against this trade because of all the "chemistry" they lost. Now, he's determined that Gagne's injury is due to the trade.

What a complete idiot.

I've said it a million times. Stick to the Compton High School softball stories, Bill.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're right. There's a reason the Royals have Alex Gorden, Billy Butler and company stashed away in Double-A Wichita while Aaron Guiel -- before he got cut -- was in Triple-A Omaha.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

And for the rest of the month, at least, it looks like he'll get the majority of the ABs as a platoon partner in RF with Bernie Williams.

It's amazing: Aaron Guiel, Jason Johnson and Kyle Snyder were not good enough to stick with two of the worst teams in baseball, the Royals and Indians. Yet the Red Sox and Yankees took flyers on all of 'em.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Right on, poindexter.

From his incessent defense of Jim Tracy, weak arguments on ATH and blaming a freakin' trade for Gange's injuries, it's become painfully obvious that Plaschke knows nothing about baseball.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Desperation does funny things to teams. The Yankees need SOMEONE to play outfield, especially if Damon's going to play hurt the rest of the season, which seems inevitable.

I'm just curious to see wjere Abreu lands -- in Red Sox, or in pinstripes.

This is where I miss Peter Gammons running every trade rumor he's ever come across.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

bumping up for novelist wannabe, who couldnt scroll through 2 1/2 pages.

7. The Indians are one of the two worst teams in baseball? The Pirates, Nationals, Cubs, Orioles, D-Rays, Braves and Mariners might take offense to that.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

C) Gookie Dawkins :D

Raul Gonzalez will join Brandon Larson in the IL Hall of Fame. Both are first-ballot locks.

9. Very interesting trade between Nationals and Reds

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060713&content_id=1554994&vkey=pr_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

Nationals get:

Austin Kearns - OF/1st
    Felipe Lopez - SS
    Ryan Wagner - RHP

Reds get:

Gary Majewski - RHP
    Bill Bray - LHP
    Brendan Harris - INF
    Daryl Thompson - RHP

At first glance this looks like a very good trade for the Nationals. But how can that be with Jim Bowden still acting as their GM? I need to look into this more.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Mayor Merloni,

Kearns and Lopez aren't that great. Plus, they're arbitration eligible. It frees up a ton of cash for the Reds in the off-season, while shoring up the bullpen. The Reds have some depth to replace Kearns and Lopez, so they won't be so sorely missed. Wagner, I believe, was Bowden's last first round pick.

It may also signal an even bigger trade is coming for the Reds. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

11. Hack who likes to Freelance,

I should have also included Royce Clayton in what the Reds got.

Royce Clayton is 36 and makes just $1 million this year. He's probably just flotsam and jetsam in this deal but I don't see the Reds trying to compete for a playoff spot with Royce Clayton as their starting SS. Gary Majewski has to be the key guy for the Reds. Do they view him as a potential closer or future closer?

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Keep in mind, my man Davey Johnson is now helping Bowden make decisions and Davey knows talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted