1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread VI

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not quite. The ex-Cub Factor works like this: Look at the rosters of the two World Series teams. The team with three or more ex-Cubs will lose.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was under the impression that they are trying to get Kendrick acclimated to other positions down at AAA, so that Adam Kennedy isn't the issue. They have had him playing third and they have had him playing first. When they called him up, they stuck him in at first base for a couple of games. It's hard enough getting your bearings when you first get called up, can you imagine also being put in to play a position you are unfamiliar with? My bet is that Kendrick will be back within the next month and they'll find him at bats by moving him around the field.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, come to think of it, I can name one: Dwight Smith won the WS with ATL in 1995 after escaping the Northside

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They've done the "move him around at various positions" thing with Chone Figgins to the point where he's atrocious everywhere. The Angels have prospects everywhere else that they don't need another rover.

The Angels aren't going to re-sign Kennedy this year. He isn't hitting for crap and his defense has dropped considerably. It can't hurt to bring up Kendrick and play him 2-3 times a week at second base.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No argument. The guy has been Ted Williams at AAA and the Angels can use offense. It's just that sitting Kennedy and playing Kendrick at second doesn't seem to be their plan.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And that's one lousy plan.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Man, Andruw Jones has declined in a major way on defense.

He's too slow to play that far in anymore.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why did Cox go to the pen? If he lets Smoltz finish, he probably wins.
    Instead Ray gives up a bomb to Juicin' Jason Giam-balco and its tied.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Angels "plan" is mainly to placate the veterans.

Dallas MacPherson sat out one day last week with back spasms and was immediately placed on the 15 day DL. Anderson sat out last night with back spasms, I don't expect to see his name coming across the transaction ticker today. Of course I don't know all the details, but the rookies are afforded an unbelievably short leash compared to the past-their-prime has beens like Erstad and Anderson.

Is there anybody in their right mind who thinks that sending back Jared Weaver after a 4-0, 1.37 start was the best move? Zero creativity by management to find a solution... anything.

Just like the Kendrick situation.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Smoltz, coming off the groin and (according to Buck Martinez) apparently complaining about his hand, was done.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not on ESPN in NY..I'm getting the Yankee homer view from YES...so I have no idea what was up with Smoltz.

12. ajp1984

ajp1984 Member

The Tigers finish off a sweep of the Astros with a 5-0 win. That gives Detroit 16 wins in its last 18 games.

Draft saved Draft deleted