1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread V

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Damn it Zeke, don't make me say the "S" word ;D

And let's not give Liriano the Cy Young Award after 6 starts, please.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm still stuck on people assuming Pujols isn't clean. Show me one tiny shred of evidence other than his tremendous success to assume otherwise. And don't give me the hairline crap. My brother had the same hairline at that age and mine didn't go much later.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Had those in the 70s, Zeke :D

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

indeed, the distinguished look ::)

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Prior is scheduled to start now on Sunday against Detroit. Will be limited to 90 pitches.

Prior's back

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry Sweet Lou, but Papelbon's going to have to slump something fierce to make this a race.

Leo talks about Liriano competing for Cy Young. What about Papelbon? The kid is on pace to have one of the greatest relief seasons EVER. No hyperbole. I don't expect him to have an ERA below 0.50 all year, but I do expect him to continue at a 50-save pace. A rookie racking up 50 saves as the only reliable reliever in BOSTON? If he's not a unaninimous ROY, there should be an investigation. (And I wish I hadn't taken a sabbatical in late spring cause I picked Papelbon to win ROY, the only pick I've got right)

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

good points, BYH. has a closer ever been ROY? i wonder if you'd see the same kind of inherent underlying bias that voters seem to have when they rarely consider a closer for MVP. i know ROY says nothing about value so there shouldn't be any bias but logic doesn't always seem to prevail when it comes to voting for awards. if liriano has a dominating second half like santana two years ago and ends up something like 17-3 with an ERA in the 2s and papelbon goes through a rough stretch and finishes with 40 saves and/or blows a few key saves in NY, the race could be a little more open.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Huston Street last year. Others: Kaz Sasaki (2000), Scott Williamson (1999), Gregg Olsen (1989), Todd Worrell (1986), Steve Howe (1980), Butch Metzger (1976).

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm not saying any of these guys, including Pujols, is or isn't clean. I'm saying it's hard to make up a list of the best clean players when you really can't assume any of them are.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rightly or wrongly, the vast majority of the baseball world assumes Jim Thome's clean. It's tough to look at Pedro Martinez and think he's on the cutting edge of artificial body development. Never heard suspicion one about Andruw Jones. Those are just some who pop into my head.
    Don't respond to that with "I know they're all dirty" please. There are people on this board whose only intetest in sports appears to be the doping issue.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Of course I don't know they're all dirty, but there are very few who I would just assume are clean. Thome may very well be virgin pure, but given what we've learned the last few years, why would anyone assume so? Just off that original list of ARod, Soriano, Beltran, Berkman, etc., would it be shocking to find that any one of them had used? I think not. You can't make up a list of the best clean players in baseball because there are very few (David Eckstein maybe?) who are completely above suspicion. That's the shame of it.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Phillies=Phrauds.

Not like that surprises anyone.

/phanboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.