1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread V

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Now it's really getting late, but I'll take it back three more days, so we've got a 10-day (actually 11-day) window

June 16
    1st inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. 4-3.
    4th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. F8.
    7th inning -- Runner at 1st. Single.
    8th inning -- Runner at 1st. Double. Punto somehow doesn't score despite there being two outs.

June 17
    1st inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. F6.
    4th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. Walk.
    5th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. Double.
    8th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. F6.
    9th inning -- Runners at 1st and 2nd. Walk.

June 18
    DNP

The updated 11-day (8-game) stats:

Number of times in a week Mauer came to the plate with runner(s) in scoring position: 6
    Number of runners in scoring position during those at-bats: 8
    Mauer's batting average w/RISP: .667 (4-for-6) with a walk.
    Number of RISPs driven home: 4 out of 8

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I haven't devoted three seconds to this debate.

That said, what a post.

Pure excellence.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A radio interview with some Orioles dude I heard this weekend - guy said Baltimore would have to get a "frontline starting pitcher" in return and opined that no one in position to make the playoffs was also in position to give up such a pitcher.

Nats will give 'em Hernandez.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Royals will give 'em Mark Redman. :D

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I still think they won't deal him during the season, although I've heard his attitude has deteriorated signifficantly in recent weeks and that he's becoming clubhouse cancer with a capitol C.

Here is an interesting question: Would you deal for Tejada knowing that it has the potential to be a HUGE distraction if he's listed in the Grimsley affidavit? (And I'd say the chances of him being named are 80 to 90 percent.)

If you're Boston, the last thing you want is for David Ortiz and Curt Schilling to have to answer HgH questions every day for a month about Tejada, who by the way, completely went in the tank last year after Raffy tried to drop a dime on his ass.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think the Red Sox would much rather call up Pedroia -- who's supposed to be at Fenway in 2007, anyway -- from Pawtucket than go through any of that.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I love this "Joe Mauer is a soft hitter" bullshit. If played for the Yankees instead of Minnesota the same people calling him soft would already have his Hall of Fame plaque hanging in Cooperstown.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Note to Lee Jackson. Just one explanation before I drop the subject forever. The only reason I ever talk about my past votes in either HOF or postseason awards is because one of our posters asked me to. I don't ever have to do it again if that would make people happy. I don't need it, thank you very much.

9. Any chance the Angels give up a package of Ervin Santana and Brandon Wood for Tejada? Probably not, but an O's fan can hope.

The D-Backs, Red Sox, Tigers and Dodgers are also loaded with young talent, making them appear to be ideal trading partners, though trading Tejada in-division probably won't happen.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

What potentially contending team is going to give up decent pitching to take on Tejada, his contract and his potential Hgh baggage?

NONE!

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Here's one O's trade Tejada question . .. who the hell would play shortstop? Brandon Fahey?!?!? Baltimore doesn't have anyone nearly ready to take over that position. It'd have to be one hell of a deal ....

... and who would take him? Anyone who wants to win a pennant. This isn't Jason Grimsley here. Teams will overlook anything if it means winning.

12. The Dodgers are apparently finalizing a deal with the Devil Rays that will bring Mark Hendrickson and Toby Hall to LA in exchange for catcher Dioner Navarro and cash.

casty - don't let that crap bother you in the least. Your talk about how you would vote on certain players or had voted in the past is what makes these threads great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.