1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball Thread V

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Explain to me how Casty's HOF and award-voting prviliges (sp) are not relevant in these discussions.

Geez, dude, it's not like he crashes a thread about the Super Bowl and says he has a BBWAA card, or starts threads pointing at himself. I usually agree with you on everything but you're way off here.

Edit: When you ask someone when he's going to quit boasting about his creds, it's hard not to take that as a potshot at Casty, who is usually the only person on these threads to identify himself and explain his vote (honestly can't remember if Michael Gee does as well).

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Constantly citing your own journalistic cred on this board is as silly as name-dropping athletes and celebrities you've been around. I read casty's work as a kid in the papers my father would bring home from the city every day. Hell, yes, I respect and appreciate him. What I don't appreciate is being big-timed on an anonymous board by "a legend" because I might happen to hold a divergent opinion.

Anyway, this is getting kind of retarded, I apologize to anyone who was offended.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Casty is doing anything but big timing you. If you feel that way, it's probably you that has an inferiority complex.

Like BYH said, you are way, way off here.

(and you say this is getting retarded, just remember who started it with a lameass, retarded potshot).

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Explain how the fuck that was a potshot, Hank? Because if I'm going to take one, I'd pick my shots much better than that. It was a comment. Rather, a question.

But where were we.

Oh yeah, Phil Stockman has the biggest buck teeth I've ever seen. Things are big as freakin' floor tiles.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

No.

Next question: Is it too soon to annoint the AL champion the World Series winner -- In 5 games, max.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

So apparently the O's are ready to deal Miguel Tejada. What can they reasonably expect? And from whom?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

With his magnificent 5 RBI performance tonight, Joe "Mr. Softie" Mauer now has the amazing 10-game total of ... 5 RBI... but it's 6 RBI if you go back 15 games!
    Last RBI before tonight was on June 15. That's the kind of production I want from my No. 3 hitter.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not sure when I became Joe Mauer Defender No. 1, but here goes ...

Mauer's PAs the last week, and the number of men on base and in scoring position:

June 20
    1st inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. 4-3
    3rd inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. F7
    6th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. Single.
    9th inning -- Runners at 2nd and 3rd. 6-4.

June 21
    1st inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. K.
    3rd inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. Single.
    5th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. 6-3
    7th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Runner at 1st. Walk.

June 22
    1st inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. K.
    3rd inning -- Runner at 2nd. 1-3
    5th inning -- Runner at 1st. 3-6-1 DP.
    8th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. Single.

June 23
    1st inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. 5-3.
    3rd inning -- Runner at 1st. Walk.
    5th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. F7.
    6th inning -- Runner at 1st. F7.

June 24
    1st inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. F7.
    4th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. Single.
    6th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. F7.
    8th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. K.

June 25
    DNP

June 26
    1st inning -- Runners at 1st, 2nd. RBI single.
    2nd inning -- Runners at 1st, 2nd. 2RBI triple.
    5th inning -- Nobody in scoring position. Nobody on. 1-3.
    6th inning -- Runners at 1st, 2nd. RBI single.
    8th inning -- Runner at 3rd. RBI double.

Number of times in a week Mauer came to the plate with runner(s) in scoring position: 5
    Number of runners in scoring position during those at-bats: 7
    Mauer's batting average w/RISP: .667 (4-for-6)
    Number of RISPs driven home: 4 out of 7

NOTE: Someone might want to check behind me. It's getting late here. Regardless, perhaps this shines a bit of a light on the true shittiness of the guys hitting in front of Mauer. Tough to pick up RBIs when nobody's on base.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

ZIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!

Mustard, you are my new favorite poster. You've got my vote come award time.

I told old man walking uphill both ways in the snow that Mauer played for a terrible offensive team and had few RBI chances, but you just slammed that point home.

Now shut up old man and go back to that typewriter and your Saturday Evening Post story about why Babe Ruth's 60 homers were soft!!!!!

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very good stats mustard.

That takes care of one week, anyway.

And dickhead, go fuck yourself.
    ;D

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

As long as I don't feel the wrath of the Ilk, Zeke, we'll be OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.