1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. VII

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And we were all scooped by The Onion on that one. ;D

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

At least you scaled the Royals down to the worst in the American League from "the worst team in baseball by a significant margin." Big difference from the first to second posts.

Yeah, the Royals could factor in the Yankees' demise. They could also be an accomplice to the Red Sox's demise, too. And don't forget, Boston helps to subsidize that payroll, too. It's not all about New York, even if the fans don't see it that way.

You say Kansas City could cost the Yankees a playoff spot. Then explain to me how an AL Central team could lose at least 104 games in each of the past four seasons -- remember, Detroit lost 119 in 2003 -- and yet have only one playoff team each time. Meanwhile, the AL East has had two teams the last three years. Hmmm, hmmm. You would think the Yankees' and Red Sox's demise would have come much sooner, given your philosophy. How can that be?

Oh, I know. Maybe it's because your theory is shot. Instead of looking at the Royals, maybe -- just maybe -- the Yankees' dilemma lies with the Tigers.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If you needed a pitcher for just one simulated game, with all the marbles on the line, who do you take? Prior? Or Wood?

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

At this time of year there is always talk about who the Yankees might pick up for the stretch run. Seems more relevant this year with all their injuries ... but do they have any bargaining chips in their minor league system left? I have no idea, although I root for the day both the Yankees and Red Sox both miss the playoffs. "Red Sox Nation" has become almost as big if jerks as Yankee fans, especially after '04.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Paul Wilson

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Phillip Hughes, but he's an untouchable.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cole Hamels

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Carl Pavano

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Look, Oz, it wasn't a philosophical treatise (and I don't believe it was shot, either). I acquiesced on every point, but you can't ignore the Royals being a backward factor in what happens with the Yankees' chances (or, as you pointed out, the Red Sox). And the Tigers being part of the Yankees' dilemma is part of my point. The fact that there are two teams sprinting along at the top of the AL Central gives the Royals added importance. Red Sox? Yes, they're paying luxury tax, too, but come on, the Yankees are the poster children for salary largesse.

For the record, outofplace, I hate the Yankees. I'm not a whining Yankee fan. I'm delighting in the possibility that they might miss the playoffs (I don't feel that way about the Red Sox), and it's icing on the cake that the Royals will be a contributing factor. My original post on the subject was that I find it funny.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I think I pushed it that far simply because, let's face it, it's tough being a Royals fan. It was bad enough that you watch you team lose every night, but then to get blame for someone possibly not making the playoffs, it set me off somewhat. A lot, actually.

Most Royals fans probably would probably revel in being a cause for the Yankees' demise. Then again, I told them what's the point in rooting for Yankees Light (Red Sox). Different team, same big payroll, same stacked roster full of talent.

I can definitely get behind Detroit, though.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Are you dead yet?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok, sorry. I'm surrounded by whiny Yankee fans who come up with crap like that all the time. And as a Pirates fan, you can imagine how little patience I have for somebody whining when their team has had the kind of success the Yankees have in a system that favors the big markets more than any other sport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.