1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. VII

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And the Tigers gain a game on the Twins (and a half game on the Sox) with a 6-4 victory over KC.  (Hi Zeke  :D).

Edit: whoops, didnt realize the Twinkies were still playing. Zeke still has a chance.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

9-0 against the Royals.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

As well they should be.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

Re: Baseball thread No. ##

yeah, guy bats higher than .300 once (and that was .302) and he deserves to be in the hall

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Anybody else here find it amusing that the Royals, as bad as they are, may end up being the team that keeps the Yankees out of the playoffs, when a significant portion of their payroll is offset by NYY's luxury tax? Presumably the Tigers and White Sox will continue to beat up on KC (and eat great steaks while they're doing it ...) while the Yanks will have to win their division to get in. And this Red Sox team looks pretty damn solid.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

if the royals have one small bit in helping keep the yankees out of the playoffs, i will consider this season a success (as long as they don't lose 120)

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Except tonight, when their normally tight defense fails them and Julian Tavarez, he of the four one-hit innings Sunday, wakes up and remembers he's Julian Tavarez as the Sox fall in 11.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A drop in a bucket.

The Yanks will not make the playoffs. The pitching is terrible, save for Rivera and Mussina. The offense that was supposed to score 1,000 runs has been mediocre. After Damon, Jeter, ARod, GiamBALCO and Cano, the lineup is chock full of hitters on the downside (Posada, Bernie) of their careers or are career minor leaguers (Cabrera, Phillips, etc...etc...). Matsui and Sheffield are expected back in September, but there's no guarantee that they will rake as soon as they return. The moment Carl Pavano develops a set of balls, he'll be brought off the disabled list.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Why is it only the Royals that would keep the Yankees out? Why not the Tribe? Or pre-streak Twins? Or the whole NL Central? Or the Yankees themselves, if they fail to beat the Red Sox enough times?

I mean, yeah, the AL Central plays the Royals all the time. But the Yankees are only 2-1 against Kansas City -- no sweep there. And who's to say the Royals can't help the Yankees by beating the Red Sox?

Saying that the Royals may keep the Yankees from the postseason because of an unbalanced schedule is too weak, too easy of an excuse.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry, dude, but I'm not burying the Yankees til they're dead and, uhh, buried. Learned my lesson last year (hi A_F).

I agree the Sox are a much better team on paper. But the Yankees have done pretty well to stick this close this long and they won the division with a more flawed team last year. And if the injuries to Schilling or Wakefield linger, the sox are in big trouble. They have even less depth in the rotation than the Yankees. There's still, what, eight or nine games between the teams, including five in four days at Fenway. Yanks aren't out of it yet.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Sidney Ponson?? I can't imagine that one working for the Yankees. He has failed in many places before.

HB, what do you think of Javier Vazquez possible deal to the Mets?

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

To answer an earlier question, I thought I heard Huff would bounce around the corners? Ensberg and Lamb are sure to see a reduction in playing time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.