1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 9

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In 2006, the Detroit Tigers lost their final 5 games of the season. :eek:

2. mb

mb Active Member

I really don't. We'll see if I'm wrong.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Twins wrap an 8-3 victory in Detroit, magic number for the Tigers remains 2.

One thing to keep an eye on: the three pitching matchups between the Tigers and White Sox are a little nervous for Tigers faithful.

Friday: Edwin Jackson, who has been rather inconsistent over the second half, against Jake Peavy, who the Tigers did very little with at the Cell.

Saturday: Alfredo Figaro, a rookie who hasn't started in three months (spot start because both Porcello and Verlander had to go on Tuesday), against Freddy Garcia.

Sunday: Verlander against John Danks.

The Twins have to face Grienke on Saturday, but get the much less-heralded Lenny DiNardo on Friday and Luke Hochevar in the finale.

The Tigers are in the drivers' seat, but I'm not so sure I know where the car's going.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Joe Mauer is a cheater!

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/63114437.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUss

And in fine Minnesota style, a Minnesotan turned him in.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, that pretty much disqualifies him from being MVP. And his two hits and two RBI today will have to be ignored.

Plus, I heard he won't share his good bar recipes.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The waitresses at O'Gara's say he's a shitty tipper too.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Brewers walked Aaron Cook AGAIN ... his third of the game and second with the bases loaded.

Fucking limpnoodle douchebag excuse for a pitching staff.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Relax. It's just a baseball game.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Man, if only he could play in New York. Then he could really be a factor.

On a side note, what was up with Mijares today, throwing behind Everett? Only thing I could think of was he was pissed the Tigers took second twice on fielders indifferences.

Baker hit two batters and threw inside another time, and Robertson hit a batter, but none of those were really throwing at the batter.

Mijares clearly was (as was Bonderman the next inning). But why? It had been several innings since anyone was hit.

Ah well, up two games with three to play and Jackson and Verlander on the mound (along with the Twins having to face Greinke) isn't a bad situation.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I couldn't believe Thames didn't get earholed after his slide at second. That's what it was about, I think.

And Thames was pissed about getting hit. But that wasn't intentional at all.

Baker threw one high and tight to Thames after that, but that was a curve that didn't break.

Or, like you said, Mijares was annoyed at the base poaching. But I think it was Thames.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If it was about Thames, it's a little weak by Mijares. I mean, yes, they could have called a double play on that slide. But he's not the first person to do it and won't be the last.

The timing of Mijares' pitch just seemed a little weird. If it was about Thames, why not do it on the first batter after they took the big lead?

Mijares did it after the runners took second twice. But perhaps we'll never know, since I don't think either side will talk much about it.

After Young got hit, he pointed toward the Twins dugout. I can only presume he was pointing at Mijares, since Young knew the beaning was likely coming.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One of two NL Cy Young contenders to make their final starts today.

Carpenter went five shutout innings for the victory, improving to 17-4 on the season with a 2.24 ERA, 1.01 WHIP and 144 strikeouts in 192 2/3 innings pitched.

Tim Lincecum also won today. He finishes the regular season 15-7 with a 2.48 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and major-league leading 264 strikeouts in 225 1/3 innings.

Adam Wainwright has one more shot to reach 20 victories tomorrow against Milwaukee. He is 19-8 with a 2.58 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 204 strikeouts in 227 innings.

I go with Carpenter, who led the NL in ERA and has more victories than Lincecum, though I wonder if getting 20 victories might put Wainwright over the top with some voters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.