1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 9

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Chris Carpenter has driven in six runs against the Reds today — a slam and a two-run double.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

4-1 Twins, who are playing mostly to avoid having to watch the Tigers celebrate.

Still, go get 'em, boys.

3. my first guess, without looking anything up would be Jack McKeon in 2003 with the Marlins when he took over in May and ended up winning the Series.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

So with a win tonight, the Phillies can tie the Dodgers for the best record in the NL. LA wraps up with Colorado, while Philadelphia gets Florida. Here's to hoping the Rockies still feel they have something to play for.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rumple, if the rockies win today they can win the division by sweeping the dodgers and could have the best record in the NL if the phils don't sweep the Marlins.
    Yes, they have plenty to play for.

6. mb

mb Active Member

My guess is that nobody's going balls-out once they've clinched a playoff berth. Home field would be nice, but I'd be stunned if anybody really pursued it. My guess is the playoff teams will be much more concerned with resting regulars and setting up their rotations.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

You don't think the Dodgers and Rockies -- head-to-head on the final weekend --are going to play for the division title instead of settling for the wild card?

8. JBHawkEye

Given the way the Dodgers have rolled over since they clinched a playoff spot Saturday night, the Rockies probably will sweep them.

9. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I think they will both try -- every team **tries** -- but if the Dodgers win game one, I would expect to see the Rockies pull pitchers slightly earlier and hold out Huston Street if they can.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Given the success of wild-card teams in recent years, I don't see any reason why they would.

11. JBHawkEye

Looks like the NL West will come down to the last weekend. Brewers pitcher Manny Parra has walked two — including Rockies pitcher Aaron Cook — with the bases loaded, and it's 5-0 in the 3rd inning.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Meaningless game at this point, but Haren-Lincecum is a heck of a pitching matchup in San Francisco. No score through three innings, with only two total baserunners so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.