1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 9

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're probably right. In the beginning of the season I'd have laughed at anyone who told me that the Rockies could rid themselves of Holliday and still get 90-plus wins.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dodgers have been stuck on 1 for, what, 4 games now?

Finally saw the highlights of Nolasco's 16K game. Guy has nasty stuff. Only a matter of time before the Yanks go after him.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And didn't they win like 25 of the first 27 after he took over, or some insane number like that?

The guy's track record ain't grand but he has had one hell of a year. Not that Cox would be a bad choice. It has to be one of those two, doesn't it?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Two 90-plus win seasons with the Dodgers, and 92 wins was only good enough for 3rd place in '02.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Football_Bat --

Would GWB consider repurchasing the Rangers, if for no other reason than he's already bored with his Preston Hollow neighbors and wants some fun again?

6. cranberry

Well, he's 70-40 since taking over and you just can't attribute all the success to Joe Beimel coming over from the Nats to solidify the pen.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

But that was a lot of it!
    Joe, we hardly knew you.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Anyone else catch this last night?

In the nightcap of their DH in Cleveland, Paul Konerko hits a sixth-inning single. Then, in an outcome that defied the laws of physics, he stole second base.

Ninth inning. Sox still ahead 1-0. Konerko walks with one out. Ozzie puts Scott Podsednik in as a pinch runner and, of course, he's thrown out trying to steal.

Funny game, baseball.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good call by Moddy. Has a manager who took over a team during the season ever won the award? Paging buckdub....

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'll go with Scioscia and Tracy, whose been discussed already. I like Scioscia's chances after what the Angels dealt with this season -- Adenhart's death, a beat-up rotation that's shuffled 14 pitchers in and out, injuries to a ton of key bats, etc.

11. cranberry

Tigers, 1-0, on the clutch hitting of Gerald Laird.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

If the Rockies beat the Brewers this afternoon and sweep the Dodgers, they win the NL West and could end up with the best record in the NL after being 18-28 when Tracy took over.
    How can anyone but Tracy be manager of the year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.