1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 8 - play nice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 23, 2006.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Re: Insult-free baseball thread VIII

I'd have bene more impressed if Bubbler did that without an edit. <snort> Give Dave LaRoche another crack at Gorman Thomas.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Buster Olney's column Sunday compares A-Rod's struggles to Chuck Knoblauch's when got traded to the Yankees. Basically, the argument was this -- Knoblauch started to become afraid of making a mistake. It started with defense, then carried over to what he did at the plate. The arrogance is gone ... he needs to get that back.

Re: Liriano/Papelbon, no way Papelbon wins the Cy, MVP and ROY. None. And as good as both Bonderman and Weaver are, Liriano is far ahead of both. Liriano matches Bonderman in strikeouts, but also trumps him across the board in the other categories. And Weaver's been good, but with only 40 Ks in seven starts, he might get touched up and time or two before too long.

As for Papelbon, he's a closer, so Liriano should probably merit more consideration with equally great stats. Besides, he's one three-run inning away from seeing his numbers being matched by B.J. Ryan.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I cannot post anything on this thread since it's required to be insult free and keep a good conscious.

My Adam Dunn/Austin Kearns/Brokeback Mountain post will have to be made elsewhere.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Do you think the blathering idiots on Baseball Tonight realize how difficult it is to trade Rodriguez and his contract? Do they think all those financial issues can get resolved in a few hours? Not to mention the talent exchange.

I guess it makes good TV if you have an IQ under 75.

5. fanboy

fanboy Member

Remember that the Yankees are only paying something like $14 million of his contract. If they passed along the money they're getting from the Rangers, ARod is pretty fairly valued, especially if he moves back to shortstop -- he's never really looked comfortable at third.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The Rangers are paying the Yankees $67 million for the duration of the contract.

I'm sure it won't take any time at all to negotiate what to do with that money. Financial transactions like that are routinely completed in a few hours. Just ask the ESPN boys.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

His name is Verlander, Doc, but I agree 100 percent. It's a ridiculous call to make at this point. Has there ever been a batch of rookie pitchers this good--not throughout their careers, but in their first year?

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shit, the whole Jeremy-Justin thing tripped me up. Temporary brain fart. Apologies.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hell, Bonderman AND Verlander could both be contenders for postseason awards if they keep pitching well.

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494

ChiSox now the front-runner for Soriano? Whoa.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Just saw this new site and figured I owed it to the contituency to post something. First,as someone has already said, it is far too early to talk about postseason awards. Suffice it to say there are plenty of candidates, which should make for a great second half. (That said, I sure do like Liriano, but I promised on an earier site not to get into serious talk of awards because others have accused me of promoting myself while answering the question, an accusation I have never quite understood).

As for Soriano, stories today now indicate he likes it where he is and wants to stay in Washington.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Been hearing that for a while around DC, Casty. At some point the Nats have to either get him extended this week or deal him. They can get back too much right now that it isn't worth just getting another first round pick for letting him walk.

Draft saved Draft deleted