1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baseball thread No. 8 - play nice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It was a hit, though.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Cardinals fans ... best in baseball.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

They're in the top 30, for sure.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The organist at Busch is playing Hava Nagila during Duncan's at-bat. Whaaaat?! Big Jewish population in St. Looee?

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

These assholes doing the Phillies game are doing everything they can to down Utley's hits. Even his second one, that one jackass was saying, "That one wasn't clean either. A regular shortstop probably would have had it."

Hey dickmouth, it's a hit. Both were hits. Fuck you.

End of rant. I feel better now! :)

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nothing weak about it. He beat the throw to first for an infield single. If anybody should have been booed, the Cards' pitcher should have for holding the ball too long.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Now that's funny.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Here's some enjoyable radio. Did anyone catch Chris Russo calling Brian Cashman on the Lidle trade? Cashman gives it right back.

Here's the link. The interview is the July 31 version with Cashman. Fast forward to about the 3:18 mark and enjoy.

http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Question to the board: Who's the greatest player in MLB history never to play in an All-Star game? Kirk Gibson is the first name I thought of (yes, he didn't even make the roster in his '88 MVP season).

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kirk Gibson: "Two Swings."

Not one of the 500 best players in MLB history.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tough call there. I wanna see a list of the Top 500. Gibson's passion and intensity put the Dodgers over the top that year. They were a bunch of jokesters who played decent ball, but didn't have the fire he had.

I remember a story vividly about the first spring training game of '88. An oft-pulled prank is putting shaving cream in a guy's glove. Well, Gibson, always no-nonsense, grabs his glove and trots to the outfield and puts on his glove. All gooey. He storms off the field and unleashes the tirade of tirades, telling the guys what kind of stupid-idiot-cumsuckers they are. Not for the prank, but because they'd rather prank than play hard. It set the tone that year, I believe. The Dodgers didn't tear the house down during the regular season, but I watched a good hunk of the games and they definitely had more of an edge than they had from the previous few seasons.

Anyway, I'd love to see where Gibson ranks in the grand scheme if he's not Top 500.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Maybe not, but there are many players who didn't accomplish half as much as Gibson who got into at least one All-Star game.

Draft saved Draft deleted